How do i know my CPU's maximum temp?

Hey, im new to this forum, and need to find out some info on overclocking so here i am.

I've got a intel 2.4Ghz core2 quad q6600 CPU at the moment, and i hear these processors are easy to overclock.

However before i even think about OC'ing, i want to know if my cooling and PSU is up to it.

I've got a Thermaltake ElementS case (6 fans intake and exhaust i believe) and a Coolemaster Igreen 600watt powersupply (with fan).

My asus motherboard utility says that at normal usage (so with firefox/msn/WMP etc open) its at about 10% usage and the CPU temp is about 30 degrees C. (The CPU fan is 2000rpm.)

I just want to know, if its possible to know, whats the maximum temp i can allow my CPU to run at?, and according to my system, how far do you expect me to get my clockspeed up to?

Thanks a lot, Ben

hey, welcome to the occ forum...

it's pretty much impossible to tell what that processor can do... overclocking is pretty much trial and error and q6600 to q6600 can be much different in overclocking ability, as each chip can be drastically different in ability. but maybe 3.6 ghz is possible, just as a ballpark figure. not sure about heat on a quad, sorry... perhaps the link below will shed some light on that subject.

you must have a good cpu cooler (heatsink/fan) before overclocking. what are you using now?

here is a link to a thread that should be all you need to know to get that cpu overclocked some.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

what are you using to monitor temps?

make sure to run prime 95 to stress test the system.

overclocking with a stock cpu cooler is not recommended.

there is lots to overclocking... it's not terribly difficult, but can be difficult and can ruin your system if basic principles are not followed.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

Im using the Asus AI suite to monitor temperature, and that actually has an overclocking utility built into it, and show how hard the fan's are working and other info... i assume i can use this to do what i need to do?

much better results can be expected from overclocking within the bios.

it's very simple really, just takes time and preparation.

what ram are you using?

this is the temp monitoring program you should use.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

By overclocking, you're running the processor faster than it's guaranteed to run (aka the stock speed). A stress test is a series of calculations that will let you know if your processor produces any errors (like, incorrectly rounds a number). Typical procedure: overclock slightly, stress test, repeat. Watch your temperatures with a program like realtemp or coretemp.

prime 95 is a program that will stress a system to be sure that an overclock is stable.

like Crazy_Nate stated above, overclock slightly and stress test... about ten minutes should be sufficient enough to tell if you can go further with the overclock. however, when reaching a max overclock or when you may be satisfied with the results... it's very good to run prime 95 for 12-24 hours to be sure the system is stable enough with the overclock.

along with a program like occt, it's pretty much indispensable to a successful bios overclock.

these two programs should help you out, and occt may even recommend your cpu's maximum temp as well.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

good idea...

you may also wanna check to see what cpu cooler is in there, and if needed, purchase a good third party one... it's very worth it... because if it's the stock heatsink/fan, the overclock probably won't get very far.

by the way, intel seems to rate this cpu's maximum temp at 71C.

and you're welcome, hope you stick around... there's lots to learn here, plus it's a nice community.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer