Need a cooler for Overclocking Q9300 and 1 overclocking question.

WReXSTi

Try a 1.3v vcore and bump up the northbridge voltage by a notch.

Thanks for the Help. It turns out the I needed more volts for my FSB Core. But I need 1.30 volts and its highlighted in RED. Is that safe? I will be underclocking back to 2.9 until i get a response. Thanks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the Help. It turns out the I needed more volts for my FSB Core. But I need 1.30 volts and its highlighted in RED. Is that safe? I will be underclocking back to 2.9 until i get a response. Thanks.

What is your vCore right now? 1,23V? I used 1,25V for 3,0GHz. Maybe it would be a good idea to crank up the vCore a bit and then later optimize it, since core voltage is a really important factor in overclocking. Intel's safe 24/7-running limit is 1,36V so I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. If that doesn't help, check your DRAM voltages.

What is your vCore right now? 1,23V? I used 1,25V for 3,0GHz. Maybe it would be a good idea to crank up the vCore a bit and then later optimize it, since core voltage is a really important factor in overclocking. Intel's safe 24/7-running limit is 1,36V so I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. If that doesn't help, check your DRAM voltages.

My CPU is completely stable at 1.275 at 2.9GHz. My vCore is at 1.20 and I cant get to 3 unless I change that. vCore is the only possible way. My DRAM volts are at 1.9 and the manufacturer only recommends 1.9v (Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800)

1.3 is well below the "danger zone" for a C2Q.

On a 45 nm I've heard pretty much anything below 1.4 is fair game with good cooling, others here can confirm that.

ok but what is the reason for it being highllighted in RED in the bios?

Here is the specification including VID range for your Q9300 direct from Intel's site.

Why your motherboard BIOS is showing red numbers or purple numbers or whatever is a question to ask eVGA.

Generally Red means a caution or danger but again, better to ask eVGA.

Being an overclocker I can assure you I do not worry too much about BIOS settings and assume the risks involved.

To each their own.

Bottom line is what you feel comfortable with.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here other than 'technically" Intel thinks you should not exceed 1.3625v. :)

Here is the specification including VID range for your Q9300 direct from Intel's site.

Why your motherboard BIOS is showing red numbers or purple numbers or whatever is a question to ask eVGA.

Generally Red means a caution or danger but again, better to ask eVGA.

Being an overclocker I can assure you I do not worry too much about BIOS settings and assume the risks involved.

To each their own.

Bottom line is what you feel comfortable with.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here other than 'technically" Intel thinks you should not exceed 1.3625v. :)

Thank you very much. I will ask EVGA.