Buying a bike....this one a scam?

airman

Here's the craigslist page:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/1113738632.html

If anyone knows bikes, this is a pretty good deal. The first flag was that there isn't a lot of info on the craigslist page. Here is our conversations via email. This is what he replied when I asked about it and expressed my interest:

Hello,

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my bike. I am selling this 2004 Suzuki GSXR 600 because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before Apr 18th. This GSXR is in excellent working conditions, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions. The price is not negotiable, $2700 firm. The bike is in Fort Kent ME, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back. Engine Size (cc): 600 cc, Year: 2004, Mileage: 4600, Exterior color: Black, Title: Clear, Type: Sport bike.

Thanks,

He sent me a few pictures with other angles of the bike.

8q.jpg

2q.jpg

1q.jpg

I then replied expressing I'd like to see the bike in person before any money is exchanged and that if I couldn't see it in person but got all the info I needed, how payment would be arranged. He replied with this:

Hey,

I will ship it with DAS. I will take care of the shipping charges, like I said in my first email. I think I can have it there in 3-5 working days. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 3 days testing period after delivery.

During that 3 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested in buying it so I can ask eBay to send you the details on how this works. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (name, address and #) so we can get things started.

Thanks

He didn't answer my question about how payment would be arranged. Paypal/whatever else.

I repeated myself and asked what type of payment he would take/how all that would work. I've asked him 3 times if that is a yoshimura exhaust (i know that it is) and he hasn't answered me yet. I just sent that email off, so I'll wait for him to reply and post back here. I also asked why it was in ME and why he was posting it on the Charlotte's craigslist. I looked around craigslist and I haven't seen it posted anywhere else, at least in ME, atlanta, greenville (sc), or myrtle beach.

What you guys think? I like the idea of buyer protection through ebay, but I know paypal takes a chunk out of what's transferred through them, especially in large amounts. I know I won't have to pay a fee as it comes out of what he gets, but i think it's around 3%. Can anyone confirm that?

Edit: found it. 2.9% + $0.30. That's not bad. Of $2700 that's like 80 bucks.

Edited by airman

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's a scam. Every other time someone asks "Is this a scam?" in regards to a vehicle on craigslist, it's the "Hi, I'm Private Turbo. I was recently deployed to..." crap.

Also, are you most comfortable on a Gixxer? Check out other supersports from other manufacturers, they all perform about the same, comfort should be your biggest deciding factor.

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

Yes it's a scam. Every other time someone asks "Is this a scam?" in regards to a vehicle on craigslist, it's the "Hi, I'm Private Turbo. I was recently deployed to..." crap.

Also, are you most comfortable on a Gixxer? Check out other supersports from other manufacturers, they all perform about the same, comfort should be your biggest deciding factor.

I'll see if I can string him along and see if I can get anything more obvious out of him.

Gixxer's are my favorite bikes out of all the ~600cc bikes I have ridden, CBR, R6, ninja, etc. I like them the most.

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my bike. I am selling this 2004 Suzuki GSXR 600 because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq

That should make it obvious enough. The smallest level of involuntary group mobilization I've heard of is company level. Also, it's not like he wouldn't have been told before. Ask him what unit and battalion he's with, and his chain of command up to brigade level.

This is a fairly common scam. Someone claims to be a member of the military, and is either mobilized, being mobilized, or sent to duty far off, and have no reason to keep the vehicle. They then claim that they can ship it free of charge by shipping it as military cargo. Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Kent,_Maine. Why would he have it there in the first place?

This doesn't just scream scam, it also hits you in the solar plexus and breaks your nose with a 2x4 saying "SCAM" in big red letters. Besides, why would you buy a bike without getting to look at it and get a feel of it first?

On an offtopic note, you're crazy. We ALL know that the 600RR is much better :D.

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

Ask him what unit and battalion he's with, and his chain of command up to brigade level.

I already did :D

And yeah, it's seemed fishy from the beginning. All I needed was for you to give me a second opinion. I might as well have a little fun with the guy, though.

Edited by airman

A chick tried to pull this scam on me. Turns out her hubby wasn't in Iraq, he damn near killed me!

is there a story behind this? sorry not trying to hijack a thread just want to know lol. just sent a email to the guy asking about the bike. TAG TEAM MATCH STARTED

Edited by capthowdy575

i'm thinking about goatse-ing the guy. hahah.

I really hope you will just grab a picture off the web and not take a picture of yourself doing that... :lol:

Edit: Let's do this like they do in 4chan, recruit an army to mess with him in every way possible.

Edited by l33t p1mp

I really hope you will just grab a picture off the web and not take a picture of yourself doing that... :lol:

Edit: Let's do this like they do in 4chan, recruit an army to mess with him in every way possible.

eh, i'm sure he wouldn't do this from his personal email that he uses all the time but i don't see why not.

out of the 4 people i have emailed on bikes....all of them have had some sort of scammy-ness to them.

"like yeah i'm currently in london atm so i can't show you the bike but i has a buyer protection setup called money bookers so let me get your full name and address so we can gets things started". i asked them if they would rather me send them a picture of my nutsack in the "brain" position.

here's that one (03 gsxr 600):

Hi,

There are 11233 miles on it, the bike is in great condition, has been properly maintained, has never been laid down or abused in any way. It has a clear title and the price I`m selling it for is $2900, which is including all charges.

I used to live in Covington but I`m currently working in the UK (London) and I`ll be moving here permanently within the next few months and I can`t afford the luxury of taking the bike with me so I decided to let it go.

I`m using a third party company called MoneyBookers LTD. to sell this bike, I left it at their warehouse before leaving to the UK. They are supervising the entire sale process from payment, shipping with a 14-day inspection period, returns (if needed) and refunding.

If you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how MoneyBookers works and how we can move forward.

I will be waiting your email.

Thanks

and possible another one ('04 gsxr 1000 for $4000). this one is kinda half and half. does ebay have private auctions in the first place?

Hi,

The bike is still for sale, never been dropped or abused and I have a clear title. The price I'm asking for the bike is $4,000.00. I already have tons of emails so I hope you understand that I need to sort them out. I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the bike, to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions.

For more pictures see the link below:

photobucket.com/StevenHWR_Pics

Thank you for your time,

Steven

P.S.: If you decide to buy it I can make a private auction just for you on eBay so you can purchase it there. That way you will receive assistance for the purchase, paperwork and title transfer. They also are guaranteeing purchases for the whole sale price so we will both be protected.

Edited by airman