Q6600 and STOCK fan - do I need to upgrade the fan?

I am buying the Q6600 and the fan that comes with it. I am using it for NLE and some compositing. I don't intend on overclocking it because I am NOT going to be playing games. Is the STOCK fan going to be good enough? Also, what power supply should I be looking at?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if no serious overclocking... dont to waste money on fan.... get a nice 600W PSU from corsair, enermax, tagan and alot more products...

Thanks for the reply. So 600W is the minimum you would recommend?

If I was going to overclock, which I doubt, I wouldn't be pushing things very far.

just get corsair HX620 modular.. in case ur changing ur mind to gaming and overclock stuff.... and buy a nice cpu cooler such as TRUE 120, CM v10, ocz vendetta 2... WTV the top on the list...

Listing your other parts will help us recommend a suitable PSU.

Sorry about that.

Here goes -

Right now I have a ASUS P5Q-E motherboard and 8 gigs of Corsair RAM (800mhz)

I am still shopping for the CPU (which I think will be the Q6600), a power supply and a case.

The video card will probably be the Saphire Raden HD 3870.

Just using it for Editing, some animation and compositing.

Any good quality 400 watt supply would be fine for that kind of setup.

Really? That would be great considering that the 600W+ are close to $100.00 bucks for decent ones.

Why only 400W if you don't mind me asking? Why are people using 500W-700w?

Why only 400W if you don't mind me asking? Why are people using 500W-700w?

People love to overestimate how much power they need and/or buy extra in case they upgrade down the line. I would bet that you won't pull much over 300 watts under load from your setup.

That, and most power supplies are most efficient in the 50-75% load range.

People love to overestimate how much power they need and/or buy extra in case they upgrade down the line. I would bet that you won't pull much over 300 watts under load from your setup.

That, and most power supplies are most efficient in the 50-75% load range.

That is great news for my bank account. I have seen setups with a case and Power Supply for around $50.00! I don't think I would go that cheap, but anywhere in the range of $70-100 for a PS and Case is alright by me. Do the overclockers have to use 500W and up?

I wouldn't trust many power supplies that come with cases. They are usually dirt cheap pieces of junk.

Yes after some more research, I was thinking the same thing. someone told me I should add up all of the components and see what the power supply usage is. Does this ring true?