C2Q Q9550 trouble

So i have a C2Q Q9550. I've owned it for about a month and the retailers warranty is up so i was wonder if i should return the processor to intel for an exchange. The problem with it is the 4 cores vary in temperature a lot. core 2 usually 22 degrees C and cores 3 and 4 usually about 51 degrees C. I have heard that the heatsink may not be mounted correctly but i am sure it is. i even took the mobo out and looked at the other side to make sure the pins were all the way through the other side.

When i play certain games they will stop for some reason and i get a message that says "the program has stopped working, windows is searching for a solution". i think it is because the 3rd and 4th cores get too hot and it shuts the game off. What do you think about this?

I am thinking about calling intel on monday and asking if i can return the processor for a different one. Have any of you ever had to return a cpu to intel or have a similar problem.

Do you have any ideas what could be causing this?

Edited by Dave W.

I don't believe Intel says a stuck temp sensor is grounds for exchanging a CPU, which is what it sounds like you have. I know one core of mine always is below the others. but that happens. As long as the thermal shutdown still works, then there is no reason for Intel to give you a new one.

In reference to your problem: Usually with a CPU error, you don't just get programs erroring out, it's usually a freeze/crash with a possible BSOD. Have you actually watched your temps with the newest version of Realtemp (3.00 or so) while playing the games that crash? it could very possibly be a video card error/unstable overclock.

Also, what is the ambient temperature in the room your computer is in? What is the cooler you are using? and as somebody already asked, Is it overclocked?

Everything is at default values; no overclocking. when the games is going my temps are usually about 50, 28, 60,60 +/- a couple degrees. i am using an arctic cooling alpine pro 7( nothing special.) i tried a thermalright ultra 120 E but it didn't do much more than the arctic cooling alpine pro 7 ( brought it down a couple more degrees but the variation was still there). so i returned it figuring it wasn't helping.

I have the same problem on my q9450 and i asked intel if i could swap it and got a difinate 'no' in response. The stuck temp probes are a common issue but dont effect performance or stability so they dont bother to give you a refund or exchange. Just do some burn in tests with prime 95 or your program of choice, if its stable you have nothing to worry about.