Want to hit 3.0 with x3 8750 BE

ekohone

Well, i've got it up @ 2.8 and ran prime95 overnight with no errors. Im running 14x200 right now, stable all stock voltages. I tried 3.0 (15x200) and got errors immediately on PRIME95.

What could i try to get it up to 3.0 with no errors? Do i need to up the voltage, or up the FSB instead of the cpu clock?

My specs are:

8750 BE @ 2.8 14x200

Corsair XMS2 1066 2x2gb

8800GS XXX

Gigabyte MA770 UD3

Antec TPII 550w PSU in P180 case

Dvd rom and RW

x fi xtreme audio

500 GB WD Caviar Black

Zalman 9500 Cpu cooler

thx in advance!

p.s. is there any way to monitor my temps without going into BIOS?

Edited by ekohone

Try software like coretemp to measure temps.

Make sure your pci busses are not set on auto!

Run coretemp and make sure your not cooking during the stable oc. If your temps are good, pop the clock up a little and test, if your not stable, push the voltage one setting higher (never go big steps, never!) test and keep your eyes on the temps.

I know you came here looking for some help, thats what brought me here the first time too. However, sadly theres really very little we can help you with past pointing you to a guide on how to overclock, and basically giving some moral support. Here goes...

Keep trying. Overclocking is a long process, usually it takes weeks to really hone in on a speed setting. You'll encounter tons of errors, failed POSTs, settings that almost work but not quite, and then finally you'll hit the jackpot. When you get an error, there are any number of suspects, and hardly ever the same one among different users. Nobody knows whether or not you should up the FSB instead of the multiplier, only testing will tell. You need to test everything you can until you find the limit of your chip. Increase the voltage... ensure the RAM isnt limiting your clock... keep a close eye on temps... its a very involved process. Follow the guides closely and you will have a headstart on how and where to pin down problems. First before any of that, try to understand what you're doing... what a FSB really is, or what different memory dividers do. Do all that and you should have no problem getting the max out of your chip, but beware!!! The max speed your chip can go at may not always be the speed you want it at.

OK so having said all that, let me try and help out in some more specific terms. In general, you want to set all the surrounding settings to values that you know wont limit you. For example, setting your vcore up really high, towards the upper envelope of safe voltages, ensures that you wont fail a milder OC because of voltage. I consider 3ghz to be somewhat mild. The same can be said for RAM... make sure its using a divider that runs it slower than stock, so you know thats not the problem. Also set your MCH and FSB voltages high, RAM timings loose, and your PCI-E frequency to 100MHz.

When you are able to boot to windows and run prime95, take a close look at your temperatures. If you are already running hot, maybe going from 14 to 15 sent it above the heat threshold for stability. Clearly, thats when its time to ratchet up your FSB frequency. Follow the posted guides, going up 5-10MHz at a time and testing testing testing every step of the way. So you know, FSB tuning is generally the most common way of overclocking, especially on chips with upward locked multipliers.

If you cannot achieve 3GHz, do not despair!! Doing getting the most out of your hardware is always limited by the max ability of said hardware, and through no fault of your own you just might not have the hardware to get where you want to be. Good luck!!!

Ebarone, I salute you.

That is what I have been looking for.

I am a veteran member of DFI-Streets.com, then known as DIY-Streets thanks to a mouthy AngryGames, now merged with OCC so i expected the same results as i used to get not remembering most of the guys on there moved onto other MFG forums or lost interest since the change/merger.

Thank you for your help!

My pleasure :D I failed to mention, that the CPU clock speed settings is only the first step. All that stuff I said about setting things like voltages higher than you know you'll need... after you achieve your desired CPU speed, the next steps are to overclock your memory if you want, and then bring all those voltages and settings down tighter and tigher, so you're not pumping 1.4v into a chip that only needs 1.3 or something like that. Same for memory speed, timings, etc etc etc. It takes a loooong time... but your patience will be rewarded bigtime once you get your stable butt kicking system. Any more questions, just ask, I'm a total zilch compared to most of the veterans around here, so you'll always get some top notch answers on these boards. Good luck!

Watch out with memory voltages, memory is very voltage sensitive. Depending on what you do on your pc, you may want to losen timings and bring clock speed up or lower clock speed and tighten the timings.

Aye memory is pretty much the most sensitive component in a computer. Do not try to give it more voltage than the manufacturer says.

It's pretty hard to actually kill RAM without pushing far over the rated voltage through it though. Generally too much voltage will just hamper your OC anyway.