How to protect cpu when lapping.

rgsgww

I need this when I'm lapping my cpu. Its an Intel qx9650, which is the lga 775 so no pins to worry about breaking.

Do you think holding it would be just fine? Or should I tape it to foam or something like that? I tested my skills on an old p4 and did not bend any pins.

Edited by rgsgww

I taped off the IHS and used some tissue paper and tape to cover the bottom of the CPU so the whole thing was taped off. I also lapped mine dry so that there was no chance of any liquid or copper slurry getting under the IHS

I taped off the IHS and used some tissue paper and tape to cover the bottom of the CPU so the whole thing was taped off. I also lapped mine dry so that there was no chance of any liquid or copper slurry getting under the IHS

Sounds like a good idea. I wasnt going to use any water or soap (I too don't like copper/tin slurry).

I think I have 250, 400, 600, 800, 1500 grit sand paper. 4 sheets each. Will do ihs on my cpu and then my zalman heatsink. My temps aren't so good and if I remember correctly, when I had to send my mobo in, the cpu looked like it was concave (could tell with the thermal compound).

Sending the mobo in was not related to any ocing it was a bad graphics card.

*Edit

I did find the black plastic protector! So I assume the way to protect it is the same. I might even have foam block.

Edited by rgsgww

I'd just really make sure that you want to do this. knowing that you can never send the proc back and get a new one if anything goes wrong.

Yeah I do know that this would violate the warranty. Technically ocing and aftermarket cooler violated the warranty, but they wouldn't know.

I'm not trying to oc like mad, I am trying to keep voltages below intel recommended levels while I oc. I guess if it happens it happens.

I also don't like reconditioned pc parts, but thats just me.

Im probably going to need more sandpaper <_<

Im doing a 220 grit to smooth out the ihs, and are those uneven! The entire ihs is concave, even my old p4 I practiced on was the same.

I have some pics if you would like, but I have to get back to sanding. My cpu came with a nice scratch on the ihs, weird?

Edited by rgsgww

I started at 400 and worked my way up from there and stopped at 1000. You dont need a mirror finish just a flat smooth one. The shiny IHS pics are nice but you dont need to go that far.

Yeah I know. Mines kind of mirror as you can see.

I went a little far and redid my mobo heatsinks. Forgot about space between hs and vreg :( now I need to find 1mm thick thermal pads or new vreg heatsinks.

The computer

dis001-1.jpg

The tools

dis002-1.jpg

The flat surface

dis003-1.jpg

Processor (notice big stratch or whatever)

dis004-1.jpg

Heatsink

dis005-1.jpg

First started (220grit) notice concaveness

dis006-1.jpg

Finished 220 grit

dis007.jpg

Edited by rgsgww

Finished 400 grit

dis008.jpg

Finished 600grit

dis009.jpg

Finished 1500 grit

dis010.jpg

Cpu reflection

dis011.jpg

Heatsink done with 800 and 1500 because it was pretty much lapped already

dis012.jpg

I got into the mobo (evga 790i ultra sli) thermal paste, as you can see, it was very dry.

dis013.jpg

dis014.jpg

Scraped paint from SB heatsink

dis015.jpg

NB scraped

dis016.jpg

Vreg (as5 was removed after noticing sink wasn't in contact, never booted up thank god)

dis017.jpg

Sorry for all of the pics if you have a slow connection.