GA-EP45-UD3P Overclocking

shiver_8

Just got my new board to replace the 750i FTW that died a couple weeks ago. Anyways, I have everything set up now, and I'm starting to overclock. I have a weird issue... I started fiddling with stuff and realized if you overclock anything at all I get BSOD on startup. I went from 3000mhz to 3001mhz on my e8400, and guess what... BSOD. But 3ghz is perfectly fine. Is this some kind of bios setting I've missed or do I have a bad bios version? I'm using F7. I also have the problem that when the PC first boots, the cpu fan will spin for literally a split second then cut out, then a second later it will come back on. It does this every time I boot with no differences in times of the delay or whatever. Is this a short, or is this normal? I checked everything I could inside the case without totally tearing it apart, and everything looks fine. Lastly, when overclocking, like I said by 1mhz more from 3ghz, not touching any voltages at all, my power phase led's light up completely, and then I get the BSOD later on. Any help on these issues would be great, many thanks. :(

I don't have any settings to share quite yet, sorry. I am actually having quite a hard time figuring this board out. If anyone else has settings and are willing to share that would be fantastic!

The first thing I would do is go through and set all of the voltages off of auto, then disable speedstep/C1E all of that stuff. Ive got the same board and it just loves overvolting things.

I have disabled all that crap lol. I just got it in windows with 1.39 vcore at 4.23ghz, but it fails Prime95 ram test almost instantly, but has no problem with the cpu test. The mix test fails too. So I think it's the ram. I have it at 940mhz 5-5-5-15 I'm gonna try it at 1066. I forgot with these intel boards you don't have to run the ram at 1:1, lol.

For 4.05GHZ 24/7 Stable:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)

Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast

CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9

Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0

CPU Frequency ...........................: 4.05

Clock Chip Control

Standard Clock Control

CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 450Mhz

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]

CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800

PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900

CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<<

MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<<

DRAM Performance Control

Performance Enhance...................: [sTANDARD]

Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled

(G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]

System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00D (2.00B may work for you as well, it would be better but is harder to get stable often at high FSB) This is 900Mhz, you may also try 2.66D for 1066 but it may take some tweaking of MCH Voltage

Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 900Mhz

DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control

CAS Latency Time........................5

tRCD .........................................5

tRP'...........................................5

tRAS..........................................15/18

Advanced Timing Control

tRRD...........................................3-4

tWTR..........................................3-5

tWR............................................4-6

tRFC...........................................52-62

tRTP...........................................3-5

Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles

Driving Strength ............................800/1066 (Benchmark/Test both last, set 1066 now)

Channel A

Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH

tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well

tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto

tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto

tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto

Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto

Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto

Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto

Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto

Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B

Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH

tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well

tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto

tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto

tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto

Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto

Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto

Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto

Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto

Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control

Voltage Type.

How can you state it's 24/7 stable, when a little over an hour ago you were failing Prime??
I knew someone would say that, but I got it off a different forum, a guy with the same board, processor, memory. I tested it for a while and it seemed fine, and the guy I got it from said it was 24 hour stable. Lol. But just wanna share another overclock. The CPU test is stable after 3 loops of P95, but the RAM/mix test fails almost instantly. http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk274/d.../Screen01-3.jpg Do you guys think it's the ram timings? It's OCZ Reaper 1066. Right now its at 976mhz, with 2.1 volts and 5-5-5-15 timings. By the way anything like 4-4-4-12 and it won't post, already tried. Also tried like 5-6-6-15 and 6-6-6-18 and that doesn't work either. Anyone smarter than me at this it would be great for some help lol :thumbs-up: Edited by shiver_8

Put the Reapers at full OCZ stock spec. that they show on the website. The Reaper series is very high quality so I doubt it is the RAM but if it is OCZ covers all of their stuff with a Lifetime warranty. How is the surrounding airflow? Could the issue be heat? Do you have any other DDR2 sticks you could pop in and try, perhaps a neighbors or something?

The way my bios is set up I can only set the reapers to 987 and the next setting is 1187 which is obviously way too high. Airflow/heat is not an issue, I have 8 fans in my Antec 900 that do their job. Plus the reapers are cool as a cucumber to the touch. And no I don't have any others I can throw on there. Like I showed earlier, at 4ghz and 900mhz ram with 5-5-5-15 they are perfectly fine, but at 4.4ghz and 987mhz ram with 5-5-5-15 it is wacked out. Should I maybe try one stick of ram and see what happens?