After cooler for Biostar i45 Mob

Hi.

I'm new to OCC. My name is Nick. I'm 32 yo. live in Australia.

I have a problem of which CPU Cooler to get for my new system. I have not built the system yet.

The parts that I have so far are the following:

Biostar Tpower I45 Mob.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400.

Corsair Dominator 2x1048 1066 2GB total Ram.

Powercolor PCS+ HD 4870 1GB.

Enermax Uber Chakra Full ATX

Buying a Enermax Infinity 750w Modular PS.

I am looking for a cooler that has the best cooling but is quiet as well. I was looking at getting a Noctua Nh-u12p Cooler.

I have looked at these also:

Xigmatek HDT-S1283.

Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer.

Akasa Nero AK967.

I have two things that concern me:

1. The Biostar i45 MB comes with a DIY Thermal kit. I would like to use this but if I get a cooler, will it fit?

2. Will the cooler be short enough to clear the side fan of the case?

I don't want to sacrifice these parts for the sake of the cooler. I would like to overclock, but keep the cpu cool as well.

I was looking at 4ghz stable; Realistic enough target?

Please help. Anyone with similar problems or any tips from anyone, please post.

Thanks.

Nick

Hi and welcome to the forums...

1st let me just say nice set up...I might prefer the Xiggy cooler myself but just check reviews of the coolers you listed to see which one offers you the best cooling on air...

2nd that board should get you to 4.5ghz pretty easy with the right settings...although the board has alot of options it can be a little finicky to get running...I have one myself but with the right settings it can fly to the moon...if you get into a picky let me know and I can point you to a place with all the settings and help you need...(biostar official forums)

as for the add on diy cooler..it comes as two separate pieces so you can use either 1 or both...depending on the board placement in the case the top attachment can interfere with a rear case fan...how ever mine did not...it was fine and worked dandy for me..I havent see any issue with the diy cooler and a heatsink fitment issue either...

good luck on you endevor...:)

both the Xigmatek and the Sunbeam are great coolers for the money though i *think* the Core Contact cools slightly better, as for the DIY cooler I think that the only way to know that would be to try it yourself. I was able to fit my optional NB cooler extension on my computer with my TRUE.

It's the copper viderocard looking cooler under my TRUE.

post-20152-1237656672_thumb.jpg

Good luck!

(PS You'll hit 4ghz at the very least with that setup :thumbs-up:

• 5 months later...

To answer my own question. I bought a Zalman CNPS9700 NT cooler. For a round cooler, it's pretty big a heavy. It just installed into the Enermax case, with about 1-1.5cm gap between it and the side panel fan. It also cleared the northbridge thermal kit. So that was close. I don't think a Noctua would fit into that case.

I got a person I knew that knows how to overclock these MOBO's. He took it to 4Ghz straight of the bat. It runs without a hiccup.;) I've left the computer on all day. Have done multi-tasking with multiple programs open at the same time. I have had no problems at all. I can't wait for Windows 7 64-bit.

So if u have a similar setup with this case, make sure you measure the internal dimensions first.

I am thinking of getting another HD4870 pcs+ graphics card to make this thing kick but.

Cheers

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Just another update.

I bought a MSI Geforce gtx 285 superpipe. I ran a test with 3dMark 06. The system scored 18023 marks.

With the powercolor radeon hd4870 pcs+ it scored 14088 marks, so there was a gain of 4000 marks with the 285.

I am going to sell the 4870 on ebay. I will probably just put buy it now or nearest offer. Look for my logon id

: thenic123