Preventing hardware damage, a few BURNING questions!!!

I am fairly new to overclocking (starting to get the hang of it), and I want to make sure I don't damage any of my pricey components in my exploration of new speeds.

What will instantly kill your CPU/Mobo/Ram/ect.???

When is it possible to destroy a component? (mid prime95 torture test? only at boot of too extreme settings? any time an error occurs?)

I am running my Q9550 at 1.385V(BIos, 1.40 in windows) idling at 47C (highest core temp) like 35C Tcase and torture testing at like 65 max.

What kind of risks am I running? Can my cpu just decide to fry during a random boot? How much faster will my process get used up?

What are signs that I am headed for trouble?

haha, if your max is 65 on a C2Q, your fine.

Unless you do something extremely stupid (like feeding 1.5 volts to your processor) nothings going to happen.

And you can't "instantly" kill a component. That's why POST was developed. (correct me if I'm wrong)

If something goes wrong during a torture test, the computer should turn off.

Signs of Trouble: Smoke, random BSOD's, strange noises, etc.

Edited by hojin994

I am fairly new to overclocking (starting to get the hang of it), and I want to make sure I don't damage any of my pricey components in my exploration of new speeds.

What will instantly kill your CPU/Mobo/Ram/ect.???

When is it possible to destroy a component? (mid prime95 torture test? only at boot of too extreme settings? any time an error occurs?)

I am running my Q9550 at 1.385V(BIos, 1.40 in windows) idling at 47C (highest core temp) like 35C Tcase and torture testing at like 65 max.

What kind of risks am I running? Can my cpu just decide to fry during a random boot? How much faster will my process get used up?

What are signs that I am headed for trouble?

most everything you need to know about yur cpu can be found here...\

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAWQ

the most dangerous factors are excessive voltage and heat...

I checked out the Q9550 link you gave me (cjloki), couple o quests:

Thermal specification = 71C, does that mean that above and beyond that , and you risk frying it, or is that a safe load temp?

VID = .85 to 1.3625 I thought vid was stock voltage (mine is 1.21)? Are they referring to your vcore here?

Chips don't just melt out of nowhere. Read the forums. Look for posts saying that the chip just up and died. You won't find many.

If someone melts/fries/toasts/kills/etc their chip, they were being careless. If you take your time, do your research and move your settings up slowly, that shouldn't happen. Do your reading. Know what voltages are safe for your chip. Know your temp ranges too. If you monitor those two things closely, you'll be fine.