Which overclock to Choose

shiver_8

I have 2 stable overclocks. I have to choose one. Differences is higher cpu or ram speed. It's an e8400, OCZ reaper 1066 ram and 750i ftw. First overclock: e8400 @ 3.825ghz w/ 1.3 vcore, ram 1103mhz @ 5-5-5-15. Second overclock: e8400 @ 4ghz w/ 1.4 vcore, ram 887mhz @ 5-6-6-18. What overclock would you use?

most definitely the 4GHz one. although I'd make the RAM run at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB because it doesn't look like it is right now. run it at 900 and you should be good. also, you should be able to run that ram at 900MHz with 4-4-4-12 timings.

Good luck on the OC!

most definitely the 4GHz one. although I'd make the RAM run at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB because it doesn't look like it is right now. run it at 900 and you should be good. also, you should be able to run that ram at 900MHz with 4-4-4-12 timings.

Good luck on the OC!

I used your settings and it worked well. Thanks. I'll stick with those settings.

What cooler are you using? Thats a large vcore increase for 175mhz of cpu speed. I know its not quite in the danger zone yet, but its for sure closer than 1.3v... if you're using a kickass cooler then dont worry, but if you're on stock, I'd go for the 1.3v option to ensure longevity.

increased voltage puts more strain on the silicon regardless of temperatures. cooler temps keep voltage from leaking and causing instabilities.

Edited by battery