Introduction / Overclocking i7 920

Instead of getting the 1k PSU, use the $40 on a nice GFX card, some variation on a GTX260 216 core in my opinion.

Well its kinda late now...but i was told running Tri-SLI down the road I would need it...so I went ahead and bought it...

ya, you dont need a 1000W PSU

LAWL

Says Who? You never know what the future may bring. The extra power offers a measure of stability as well as piece of mind. I have 4 rigs running with nothing less than 1000 watts. Right now my Video card test rig is running at 644 watts with only the CPU folding while clocked to 3.9 . Right now it has 2 4870x2s just at IDLE and it is pulling over 600 watts.

1 HDD

5 120mm fans and a water pump

600 is under rated for higher cards.

• 2 weeks later...
Asus P6T x58 (NON-DELUXE)

Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz

I know I'm a n00b :( but, any help would be greatly appreciated....prior to me diving in to juicing up a $1300 investment.

So, how'd this work out for you? I'm a little inexperienced overclocking myself. I had a half Ghz overclock on my old Athlon 4400. I just got the same motherboard and CPU myself. I've been priming for about 15 mins now at 3.8 Ghz and seeing just under 80 degree temps. Tried a number of settings before these, maybe these will work. I haven't been able to find a good guide to what to set all these crazy voltage controls and what not on the motherboard to, so am using mostly auto.

I had this thing booting at 4.0 Ghz earlier today at 1.25V, and even managed to run a full 3D mark 06 and break 20k, but I got a blue screen when I tried running the primes and saw the temp hit 85 even with the relatively low voltage. My setup seems to get particularly warm even at low voltages for some reason. I've tried the stock heatsink and my Vigor Monsoon (mounted twice, and it does work better at least), and I am pulling almost 80 degrees at 3.8 Ghz with the core voltage set at a measley 1.15 (lower than stock value). I am about to post my own thread about that problem though, and see if there are any ideas.

When it's all said and done, if I can keep avoiding blue screens at 3.8, I'll be a happy camper. I am using a x19 multiplier and 200 BCLK, disabled spread spectrum. Left on Hyperthreading and most everything else, and have my memory clocked at 1600.

I'll try to answer a couple of your questions. First off, thats not quite how you go about overclocking. Dont simply look for the highest speed that will still boot windows, because you can still be unstable. In a sentence, the proper way to do it is raise speed, stress test, raise voltage if needed, repeat. Obviously it about 47 thousand times more complex than that, but using whether or not you can boot windows as a metric for stability isnt even close to accurate. You stress test with....

Software! You will need:

Prime95 for putting full load on all your cores simultaneously. Run this program for a day (yes, a whole 24 hours... dont expect to be done clocking for over a week from when you start) and check for runtime errors. If you get an error, your OC is unstable. If you dont, you have a good chance that its stable.

OCCT is another stress tester, but only runs for an hour (or more if you tell it to) and will report whether or not your OC is stable. Again, not a be all end all, but a good way to check.

Temp monitors (any of these will do): HWMonitor, RealTemp, CoreTemp. Use these to make sure your temps are within acceptable ranges. For example, you might get your chip so hot that the overheating causes a crash, so in order to accurately pinpoint a problem, instead of thinking "darn, I'm going too fast", use the temp monitors.

Memtest86- some people will tell you to get this, I personally havent ever used it in the OC'ing process but its another software test program, this one tests your memory for stability. Again, it will need to be run for hours on end.

SuperPi or HyperPi, these are the same thing, just Hyper works better in Vista Ultimate 64. Use these as basic benchmark tests. If they error, you have an unstable system, if not then you can compare your speeds to other peoples'.

WPrime is another benchmark/stability tester, much like HyperPi except it doesnt calculate pi.

As for cooling... 2 case fans and a CPU fan is a bit on the low side of airflow. Try it and see what temps you get, you can always add more case fans later.

Hope that helped, happy clocking!

Software! You will need:

Memtest86- some people will tell you to get this, I personally havent ever used it in the OC'ing process but its another software test program, this one tests your memory for stability. Again, it will need to be run for hours on end.

Memtest86 appears to be incompatible with the i7, use Memtest86+ instead.