Overclocking Option In A Custom Rig Configuration...

Fear is good. Fear means that you're going to be CAREFUL, and that's the most important thing when you're learning. When learners are fearless they usually end up diving in too deep too fast and getting in way over their heads. Those are the people that give OCing a bad name because they do it wrong. But if you're careful then it's a very easy thing to learn. You have people here to help you and with that there's no reason you can't do this yourself. Forget about the $45 you'll save, it's more important that you understand your system and what it's doing. Plus, the feeling of accomplishment in knowing that you did it yourself and that you understand what you did is a great one.

As far as warranty, you shouldn't worry. If you're smart, you won't do anything that will void your warranty. Cooking a CPU is actually very difficult in reality. It only happens when people are either cocky, careless, or both. If you go slowly and monitor your temperatures and stability you will find problems when they're very small and solve them so they never turn into big ones.

You are absolutely correct in that I should make the effort to do this myself, and as a matter of fact I will too!!!! Fear is the primary reason that is stopping me from doing this. Not only am I worried about causing major damage, but I also understand that my warranty coverage would be at risk too.

Well at least you are honest.

As you can see by some of these other threads, it is a scary thought what is going through some of these folks' minds why they are attempting to clock without any clue as to what they are doing.

As Verran said , you have come to the right place. The answers are all here, up to you whether you want to learn or not. 0verclocking isn't for everyone.

Good luck on your new PC.

Fear is good. Fear means that you're going to be CAREFUL, and that's the most important thing when you're learning. When learners are fearless they usually end up diving in too deep too fast and getting in way over their heads. Those are the people that give OCing a bad name because they do it wrong. But if you're careful then it's a very easy thing to learn. You have people here to help you and with that there's no reason you can't do this yourself. Forget about the $45 you'll save, it's more important that you understand your system and what it's doing. Plus, the feeling of accomplishment in knowing that you did it yourself and that you understand what you did is a great one.

As far as warranty, you shouldn't worry. If you're smart, you won't do anything that will void your warranty. Cooking a CPU is actually very difficult in reality. It only happens when people are either cocky, careless, or both. If you go slowly and monitor your temperatures and stability you will find problems when they're very small and solve them so they never turn into big ones.

Thank you for the encouragement Verran. I'm going to do this thing man! I trust in you guys because you really seem to know your stuff, and that alone is a confidence builder. Give me awhile to study up on this and I will then ask questions if need be.

Thanks again Verran,I really appreciate this! :)

Edited by Lord Stardust

Thank you for the encouragement Verran. I'm going to do this thing man! I trust in you guys because you really seem to know your stuff, and that alone is a confidence builder. Give me awhile to study up on this and I will then ask questions if need be.

Thanks again Verran,I really appreciate this! :)

You're very welcome. It's great to see people who are willing to learn the right way. When I started I was scared to death too. You hear all these horror stories about OCing and the damages, but now that I know what I'm doing I look back and realize that most people that dog on OCing really have no clue what they're doing. They're the people that just fiddle with settings, never test for stability, never monitor temps, and then can't figure out why their system is unstable. Duh! : :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to personally help you with a lot of the finer details because I won't be moving to i7 anytime soon, so my knowledge is limited to 775 stuff for Intel. But I'd be more than happy to help with the concepts and where to start. I'm sure there are some i7 owners around here who can help you with the specifics of what settings you need to use and what limits you should be aware of.

You may get some good info out of my Overclocking Basics thread if you want to give it a read. It's a little dated and VERY long-winded (like everything else I do :P), but it goes over a bit of the overall concepts. It might be a good place to start and help you formulate some questions to ask.

Actually Digital Storm does warranty their overclocked systems for 3 years. You won't get some of the really high overclocks people here get, but some people have shown overclocks up to around 3.8 GHz with the 920 from DS. Depends on what cooling you choose, luck, etc. 3.4 to 3.6 GHz overclocks seem to be more the average of what you'll get with a 920 from DS with air cooling.

Learning to do it yourself is certainly a good idea though, as somebody else said, just in case you run into a problem where you need to fix it yourself. DS has a good reputation for customer support, so even if you did have some problem with the overclock I'm sure they would walk you through fixing it, or worst case scenario you can send it back to them to fix. For $45 extra on a system you're probably paying $2000 or more for, it's a pretty good deal from Digital Storm for people that don't want to mess with it themselves.

DS builds nice systems, but they are fairly expensive compared to building it yourself with the same parts.