Need Some Proper Direction

Compxpert

And I don't know what to get..... My only requirements are that it must be under $150 and sport a Coaxial Digital Out (S/PDIF) for my reciever... it can be a bit over $150 though...

Shoot me with your best suggestions... Oh and I run vista 64-bit soo if its creative it better work flawlessly now or its a no go.

Will you primarily be using S/PDIF? If so, any old card will do, because the receiver handles all the processing.

Sometimes will be using headphones but yeah pretty much primarily S/PDIF...... Can you name anything decent priced that has it? I actually wanted to get an Auzen X-Fi Prelude but not sure I want to fork over the dollars for one.

Is this any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16829156006

There any advantage of PCI-E over PCI? Other than the shrinking number of available PCI slots on a board. Also with having a receiver is there a point in a sound card since most onboard solutions offer coaxial digital (S/PDIF)?

Overall, the Auzen X-Fi is the best card on the market today. It covers all the bases remarkably well. I've got one and I'm genuinely pleased with it. And it gets along with Vista x64. My only reservation is, if you're a bit of an audiophile, a lot of the extra gizmos in the software will go unused.

The HT Omega line of cards is pretty good, if the Auzen X-Fi is not within reach. In an audio sense, there is no reason to choose PCI-E over PCI. Which ever works out best for your system. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you want 5.1 sounds for gaming as well? If so, you'll need to get a sound card with Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive. Just something to keep in mind.

I personally bought the Auzen X-Fi Forte for my computer and I'm loving it. Oh, and I'm running Vista64.

The one you linked to will work perfectly fine for you though. The only thing its missing is no EAX5 for games. If you DONT need dolby digital live, then just use the onboard one. Its all digital anyways, so the fancy expensive analog components of the high-end cards do diddly squat for you :)

Cheers,

Shannon