Missing 20 Gb On 320gb Drives

Coors

So I've had these 2 Seagate 320gb drives for awhile. They used to have ~300gb as any 320 gb drive would. A couple years ago when I was toying with linux, I think it was Ubuntu at the time, these hdd's lost 20gb of space. They went from 300 to 279. Back then I think I tried like Partition Magic with no success in finding the missing 20gb. I wasn't about to bother with RMAing them just to get the little space back. Then I put them aside and haven't really used them since. I'm gonna be using them here soon and figured I'd try one more time at restoring them to full capacity. This time I ran Spinrite and Gparted. Neither of which was able to see the missing 20gb. I have no clue what else to try except maybe some kind of Linux command that might work to undo whatever it did....i'm not sure. Any ideas?

Heres a pic of what gparted sees.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look up kibi bits and kilibits conversion on google and you will understand

SOrry I should read the full thing before posting. Linux uses swap space for its os that is why you had missing space

Edited by Desja

is the drive in the picture formatted? if so then id try kill disk and see if that helps (writes 0s and 1s to the HDD. if the drive is in use as we speak then id try tune up utilities and see if there are any backups that windows has made or restore points.

No. It's not formatted. I've deleted the 279gb partition but that doesn't do anything for that missing 20 gb. The problem is that no program i've tried can even see the 20 gb to delete/format it. I've rewritten 0's and 1's on it with Spinrite.

This drive doesn't have an OS on it. If Gparted (Linux based Live cd) can't see the missing 20gb I don't think a Windows based program will either.

Thats the normal conversion loss. A 640 will have 600 usable. A 320 will have 300 usable.