I Bought Myself A New Toob Amplifier

nVidia_Freak

Well not an amplifier, but I did buy some NOS tubes..

th_RCA6AK5.jpg

Three 6AK5 AZ and one 6AK5 BU. Popped in two of the AZ's in place of the stock GE 5654's. Right away they're a bit more open and the bass is punchier than the 5654's.

B:)

A plate of cookies awaits the one that knows the song I have just referenced.

Is there any way to tell just by looking at tubes if they are any good?

I came across these awhile back and I have no idea if they are any good:

1x RCA 5Z3

2x Sylvania 5V4G

2x GE 6l6GC

2x RCA 6J7

2x RCA 6N7

I do indeed have a LD MKIII :) It's superb for the money you pay - easily outclasses some much more expensive bits of kit.

Getting hard to find tubes here in the UK without paying an arm and a leg, particularly Mullard :(

amp2jd7.jpg

You need to bring that and yer 595s over to Manchester one day and we can have a mini headphone meet lol... I guess there's 4 combinations of amps/headphones to be listened to at least anyway :)

Is there any way to tell just by looking at tubes if they are any good?

I came across these awhile back and I have no idea if they are any good:

1x RCA 5Z3

2x Sylvania 5V4G

2x GE 6l6GC

2x RCA 6J7

2x RCA 6N7

Those aren't the sort of tubes you would use with a small tube amplifier like the LD series.

I don't know what they would go with, but I can suggest going over to Audio Karma and asking about those there, somebody there will be able to tell you what those tubes would be good for. :)

It can easily cost more than a retail amp to build one. Mine did, because I wanted to make a class-A solid state amp with bass gain, and used all high quality components, a custom case, etc etc...

You can make something like a Millett hybrid amp for quite cheap (e.g. the Millett "Starving Student" version) to fairly pricey (e.g. the Millett Maxx)... these amps have a mixture of solid state and tubes

I'd say start by googling up the Millett amps and see where the sites/forums are... also check out Headwize forums and the amb.org site for the M