Frustrations With Amd Build

mikael116

So paint was dry....final assembly on a friends computer began last nite....

Final tally of parts...750$ or so

Antec 900 [painted neon red/orange inside and the rest black...extra holes to help with cable management and all case fans replaced with red]

MSI k9n2 platinum 750 sli[advertised as rated to run with the 140 watt phenoms]

AMD phenom 9950 black edition [case+core 195$ newegg combo]

Cooler Master V8 cpu cooler[damn it really is big]

OCZ fatality 550 watt modular psu

2x2 gigs patriot viper 6400

MSI 9800 gtx+ [760 clocked model and best price for perfromance at the time of purchase]

Seagate 500gig Barracuda 32meg buffer 3gps xfer

Sony DVD r/w

All and all a pretty damned nice rig for 750$ with shipping and such....

All plugged in...all ready to go...didnt preassemble and test before putting in case as I normally do...just built it and installed...

no video out....

tried with just the onboard[has hybrid sli function with onboard 8200 chip]....nothing

tried reseating the cpu....nope...

tried an old 7300 card just to see...nope

all wires plugged solidly and coprrectly...nothing...

finally...discover

MSI....mobo.....must flash bios to newest version to recognize the proccessor it was billing as compatible...

I usually stick to Intel...never have I had this issue with them...and the last time I used an AMD chip didnt then...but apparently thats the case now...

Anyone have a spare socket am2/am2+ old chip thats compatible with and runs on the v 1.3 bios the board comes with so i can flash this thing to 3.2 and make use of the chip thats supposed to already work in it?

Im in the Katy/Houston Texas area....please PM me if youre can assist

This computer will look mean when its all said and done and be a strong performer...but man....Im sticking with Intel even on friends budget builds....

Edited by mikael116

if not call MSI and have them express ship a preflashed bios chip...they've done it before...

Ive never removed a chip from a mobo...would be nervous to try. Good to know that would be an option.

Got ahold of a friend who says his shop[parents own] has several am2 chips laying about that I can use...even help me flash the bios....so looks like problem solved....

Ill have to get ahold of a spare to have about the house though just in case in the future

This isn't exclusively an AMD problem. I've heard the same thing with MSI mobos and Intel cpus also (factory bios not compatible with 3 month old cpu's).

Sounds like you may have just got a mobo that sat on the shelf just a little too long - not AMD's fault. You could contact your vender and see if they could offer a solution.

Edited by pkilway

This isn't exclusively an AMD problem. I've heard the same thing with MSI mobos and Intel cpus also (factory bios not compatible with 3 month old cpu's).

Sounds like you may have just got a mobo that sat on the shelf just a little too long - not AMD's fault. You could contact your vender and see if they could offer a solution.

MSI's tech support response...

"Borrow supported CPU and update the BIOS to the latest one or go to computer shop and ask to update the mainboard BIOS for you."

my response....

"the irony is...when I bought this board....the cpu I bought it for was advertised as supported....

msi product page.....

CPU