8800gt Cooling Mod

Turophiliac

I decided the other day that my EVGA 8800GT SC was getting too hot during games at it's current overclock. I decided I would clock it back to its stock speeds 650/1620/1900, but that really didn't help a whole lot with temperatures, it was just getting too hot (hitting peaks of 80C during games and ATITool testing). so I decided to mod the card's cooling. Here's what I did and how it helped:

I began by removing the aluminum shroud around the card's heatsink:

DSC00684.jpg

I then proceeded to remove the card's heatsink, replace the thermal compound with some Tuniq TX-1 that came with my Tower.

(sorry no pic of the heatsink off.)

DSC00688.jpg

I then put the heatsink back on.

Then I took the stock processor heatsink that came with my e8400, and removed the fan. I cut off 2 of the tabs on the plastic housing of the fan so it would sit on the video card's heatsink like so:

DSC00694-1.jpg

Here are some close up shots:

DSC00695.jpg

The other side:

DSC00696.jpg

On top:

DSC00698.jpg

Here is the card in action:

(i'm not exactly sure how to count the number of slots this particular cooling solution takes up, I know that if I really wanted to squeeze another vid card into the black slot, I could, but I wouldn't want to.)

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

And here is where I plugged the intel fan in, right below the card:

DSC00702.jpg

Temp Results:

Before the mod I would run a pretty consistent 78C during games, which would jump to 80C on occasion.

After the mod, I have yet to break 68C on full load with ATITool or with any game.

Before the mod, the card was overclocked to 702/1728/1024 (core/shaders/mem not double pumped) and was hitting temperatures previously mentioned.

After the mod, I have successfully overclocked to 720/1782/1053 and run ATITool at an average load temperature of 67C

Note: the temperatures before the mod were recorded with an ambient room temperature of about 68F and after the mod, the room temperature was about 63F. So conservatively, about 3-4C in core temperature can be attributed to the weather, but still 7-6C can be attributed to the mod.

Thanks, and I hope this interests you!

PS. Feel free to ask any questions you'd like.

Edited by turophiliac

Nice mod. I did something similar, but not quite as extreme with my XFX 8800gt. The aluminum shroud, like you mentioned, is restrictive. So what I did was bend along the edges of the end of the card where the hot exhaust comes out back and forth until it broke off. It really reduced the restriction of the exhaust. It ended up helping the heat drop 5c during load and made it slightly quieter.

I don't have any before pics, but here's what it looks like afterward:

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

Edited by slngsht

It seems like you'd get better cooling if you left the shroud on but used the better fan...although with a 13C reduction in temps it probably doesn't matter much anyway. :)

It seems like you'd get better cooling if you left the shroud on but used the better fan...although with a 13C reduction in temps it probably doesn't matter much anyway. :)

you know, I thought about it, but I would suspect that it wouldn't let the air through as easily. anyway, today my card is colder than it's ever been, so i'm happy :D . It's actually sitting at 46C right now, which is about 5C colder than it normally is at idle. w00t w00t!

You do know that cutting the metal shroud voids your warranty? It would have been easier to bend the shroud thus keeping your warranty.

you're right, that's why I did bend it. I have no clue why I said "cut" you can see in the bottom picture the texture of the edges. it shows how it was bent.

Edited by slngsht

you're right, that's why I did bend it. I have no clue why I said "cut" you can see in the bottom picture the texture of the edges. it shows how it was bent.

Bending it to break it off and actually cutting it off are the same thing. :lol:

What I meant by bend it was to bend it so that the metal shroud is at an angle and not snapped off like you've done so this way you can bend it back flat in case the card needs to be RMA'd