Sata 2

Kuronin

OK, I am really confused. I bought a PQI SSD but when I ran the windows experience index on windows 7, my Data Disk transfer rate scored as a 2.0 . I don't think that's good, and the transfer rates on newegg are 154Mbps read and 90Mbps write, which appears to be higher than the other SSDs listed. After googling SATA 2 and searching for SATA 2 cables on newegg, I became even more confused. Do only certain motherboards support SATA2? Will this fix my score? Do I need a SATA 2 cable? I tried searching the forum, but after 6 pages I couldn't find anything at would help, and the search terms are "too small" Please help!

1) Yes a motherboard has to support SATA2 for it to work. Anything even relatively recent should support it though.

2) I believe the connectors and cables were revised slightly, hence why you see cables that only claim a maximum 1.5Gbps transfer rate. Again, if your mobo supports SATA2 it probably came with cables that do too.

3) Have you tested transfer rates with another program? Rather than relying on the experience index (which is relatively meaningless in comparison to hard numbers).

1) Yes a motherboard has to support SATA2 for it to work. Anything even relatively recent should support it though.

2) I believe the connectors and cables were revised slightly, hence why you see cables that only claim a maximum 1.5Gbps transfer rate. Again, if your mobo supports SATA2 it probably came with cables that do too.

3) Have you tested transfer rates with another program? Rather than relying on the experience index (which is relatively meaningless in comparison to hard numbers).

1-My motherboard supports SATA 2. As seen here.'

2-I had a slew of sata cables lying around I just picked one out, none of them are labeled with anything about SATA 2.

3- I would, if only I knew a program that would test my speeds, I would use it.