First Over Clock

mgsmid

I have a Q9550 (8.5x333) im overclocking for the very first time, with exception of me setting it to 3.4 for about 10 minutes (before i had p95 and other installed)

like i said this is my first time and i want to get some feedback and defiantly some pointers.

i have my cpu at 8.5x350 for about 3ghz at 1.2v in bios and 1.15 in cpu-z

i gave some small starts for my n/s bridges not much just something like one setting above on my north and stock on the south

i have a 750iftw and 4x1024 on auto at 5-5-5-18

real temps is reading o-30 1-30 2-31 3-31 ish maybe lower at times and speed fan is giving me some 36c-40c i dont know which one to work with (its been about 30 min running p95 and so far all 4 cores are stable) im using a true in push pull with 6 case fans 3 are high flow exhaust placed around the cpu (2x140's on top scythe 1900 and a preatty blue fan in back doing 90cfm) my powersupply is on the bottom

o yea i followed the overclocking guide for my bios setting, I think there ok but mine were worded a little diffrent and i never found a the setting PCI Clock Synchronization i found PCI Express Frequency

That's a good small start. How's stability and all that at 350x8.5? If things are looking good then maybe it's time to step up to 355x8.5 and test again. And then 360. And so on. Nice and easy is the way to do it :) I'd suggest giving OCCT a shot too in place of P95. For final stability P95 is awesome and some would say unbeatable, but for testing smaller OC steps, the OCCT 1hr test is really good. If you can pass the 1hr test, then move up. Once you find the top of your OC, you're going to want to test much longer than 1hr, but for now it's a quicker way than testing 24hrs at each increment :)

Also, I personally don't like SpeedFan. Honestly, I don't think I've ever liked it. I always install it and I'm not even sure why, but there's always been another program that I liked better so I really don't use it. Right now, it's CoreTemp (some people use RealTemp) that I trust the most.

I too would trust RealTemp over Speedfan, and I too dont know why I ever install that program :D

You dont need to increase your southbridge voltage, so far as I know it doesnt affect overclocking any, and upping that voltage just puts more heat into the case. TBH, I wouldnt even up your NB voltage either until your OC becomes unstable... I dont know what the 750iftw NB cooler looks like, but if its just some rinkydink aluminuminum heatsink you'll definitely want to throw as little voltage through there as possble for as long as possible.

Ensure you're giving enough volts to your mem, and make sure that mem is getting COOL!! Sounds like you have a windtunnel of a case so it shouldnt be a problem, but 4 stick generates twice the heat and drinks up twice the juice of two... just something to keep in mind. Other than that, keep it up! You seem to have the hang of it :D

ok so i guess i left my norhtbridge on stock volts and i left my ram stock and I took my FSB mhz from 350 to 355 or 1400 to 1420 (that's how it displays in my bios, can someone remind me how to calculate the rated FSB too the actual aka 355-->1420 working with an 8.5 multiplier) i left the same volts i had on the cpu -1.2 in the bios and 1.15 in cpu-z i added core temp0.99.4

my temps are 30-35 and real temp is reporting 25-27 still dont know what program to use to check my temps. I seem to be somewhat stable at 3.01GHz

I'm peaty sure but not positive that nforce spp is my north bridge and nf200 is my south bridge. (again i left those alone i dont know what kind of volts are necessary and when

also i have no idea what GTLVREF LANE 0,1,2,3 are supposed to be, im asuming this has someting to do with the lanes leaving

the CPU to the MB but i really have no idea what kind of changes to make here auto puts it at 0-00mv 1-60mv 2-00mv 3-00mv

im still using p95 to stress test (about 30min to an hour at a time) using the blend test and i selected round off checking