Artic Silver On A Stock Cpu Cooler?

Hitch Itch

Has anyone used artic silver compound on a stock cpu air cooler for the I7?

If so did it drop the cpu down from the the stock compound?

I have my 920 blck set to 167 and dram to 1339mhz, running prime for an hour my temps hang out about 74c. I have some artic silver, I am going to swap the oem compound out for the silver in hopes to lose a few deg.

What should I use to clean off the oem compound? I have read to use a piece of platic like a knife to remove most of it and then use rubbing alcohol to remove any left over film. I know you can buy special cleaners for this, But no store around me has it and Im looking to do this tomorrow

tx

Ken

It's worth a shot. I've done this multiple times with the Intel stock 45nm heatsink. Not to much of a dramatic change in temps though. Best to buy an aftermarket cooler.

To wipe it off I like to use a dab of baby oil. Comes right off with the swipe of a cotton ball.

Edited by damian

Most likely AS will drop the temps just a small few C's, like ~3C's is my guess. Since you seem kinda new to this, deff dont put too much on there.

I'm not familiar with the socket 1366 mounting, if its still uses pushpins, make sure that they are fully seated as this is a pita and can be an easy reason for high temps.

You can use cleaning alcohol to get the old stuff off. Since I have been building computers(about 6yrs) I have always just used automotive carb cleaner to clean things, like TIM off, surely not the best but gets the job done.

You prob have to work a little since some times the OEM type is much thicker. So you may have to use a plastic knife to get the 1st bunch off, then wipe with a parer towel to get most, then put some solvent(alcohol/ect..) on the paper towel to get the rest. Turn the towel frequently to get a clean side to get all of it off.

Edited by SpeedEuphoria

good ol' Rubbing alcohol should do the trick, I usually grab a dry cotton ball and get the majority off, then dip a Q-Tip in the alcohol and get the rest of it off. just make sure to use the higher % one, like 97% rubbing alcohol, it seems to work the best.