6gb Vs 4gb?

I recently discovered that I had a set of 2x1gb gskill pc6400 laying around. This is the exact same memory I've been using, except 2x2gb. I ran sandra on a fresh install and got about 7gb/s with my 2x2gb. I threw the 2x1gb set in there for a total of 6gb, and rand sandra again. I ended up with a few hundred mb/s more bandwidth. Will running 2 separate sizes in dual channel hurt me in any way? Also, attached below is my cpu-z screenie of the memory tab. Does this look ok? My FSB is 380mhz, with my q6600 quad makes 3.42ghz.

CPU-Z:

post-5662-1233670069_thumb.jpg

Edited by airman

if you had the old ram sitting around and popped it in and it runs great I see no reason to take them back out haha. It may limit overclocking (of the memory) but as long as it runs good for what you are using for or how you are using it then that's all that matters. :thumbs-up:

did you set the timings as 5-6-6-18? or is that Auto?

I'd imagine it's auto, that's still better than when i couldn't adjust the timing on my OCZ ram without losing all stability (new bios fixed that) and the auto setting would set my timings to 5-7-7-19!

To the OP I'd adjust the timings to the best of the slowest memory you have in there.