Oc E8200 Questions

TheSaw

Hey, I don't wanna piss anyone off with some old and repetitive questions, I just wanna ask a few questions about my system.

First of all, I have an intel E8200 with stock cooling, some antec case, a-Data RAM's (800 MHz). Below you can see my settings, I've been running it for almost a year now, 100% stable. I've been reading some articles tho, where some people say it's too much, or it's too hot, and it might get damaged over time. I'm not an OC freak, and i don't need this speed, so I could set it lower, but I thought it would be better to use it on 1:1 FSB:DRAM ratio, and 400 Mhz Dram frequency, because it looks more "stable". So should i let it run as it is?

109017163851-CPU-Z.png109017163411-Core-Temp-0.96.1.png

My second question isn't about OC, but i didn't wanted to open a new thread, in case someone in here knows something about it: As you can see one of the cores has higher temperature than the other. I am using WinXP SP3, and the rumors say XP isn't optimized for dual cores, so the two cores won't be used in the same ammount. Is there some patch to fix this, or is it normal like this?

Thx.

Are those load temperatures (like while running OCCT?)?

To answer your second question, the difference in core temperatures has nothing to do with the operating system (unless you full load one core up and leave the other idle). Management in XP is decent...but, to pose a counter question: What would you do if you had one large process that used a lot of CPU power, and only a small handful of small processes that did not collectively use the same amount of power? How would you balance that? The trouble is more with getting multithreaded programs written (a timely, and precarious process).

What also happens is, the cores are at different locations on the processor. Sometimes the heatspreader doesn't have as good contact as it should with the core, or the top of the heatspreader isn't as level as it should be (resulting in worse contact with the heatsink). This will cause more of a deviation between core temperatures during 100% CPU utilization.