So I Registered A Domain Name, Now What?

Vaelen2001

I registered a domain name for my company, how do i tell whoever I have host my files to route them to my domain name?

Before I go out and pay for hosting, what should I be looking for in service that will let me state the domain name that I paid for?

The company I purchased my domain name from does not have webhosting.

Can you guys suggest a relatively cheap webhost that will allow me to state that my website it my domain name?

--\/@eLeN2oo1

I've used GoDaddy hosting for years and never had a problem with them, of course, I've also never purchased a domain elsewhere and tried to host it with them... I prefer the simple route. :P

A lot of other people use 1and1.com or hostmonster.

Who ever you host with should give you an ip, and some other settings... then you go back to your register and edit the DNS settings with them based on what you were given by your host. Sometime between when you edit the settings and 48 hours and your site should be live and ready for the world to see.

Unless you expect big traffic, you can always set up a free Apache server on an extra box at home, and have the domain pointed to your static IP. However, if you're expecting a medium amount of traffic check with your ISP as they often have free or low cost to member hosting available.

Null

Links:

http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

Edited by IIxNullxII

I use 1&1. They have packages for less than $5/month. I have a dozen domains hosted on one account and have never had any problems. There should be no problem pointing the DNS to your domain name.

As d3 said, once you choose a host, they'll provide you with an IP address, and then you log into the site you bought your domain from and set it up to point to it...typically called the "A record". Depending on your uses, you may also have to set up CNAME's and MX records.