New Build For Gaming And Work

carson

You should also add a good case with some 120mm fans or bigger for good air and not so much noise.

By the way, ur specs should do just fine in games, and as everyone says should get a good cpu cooler too.

Its true the Asus service sucks buth they have good things ... and bad too ;-) .

Ur not an oc-er , but u will after u put this rig together ! ;-p

Yeah, it was built for gaming but then I started running the family business. Now the business apps seem to take over and leave less time for gaming. But... I love gaming so I want to keep the performance.

I am going with the Gigabyte and will add the Xigmatek. I hate loud noisey fans but love cool CPUs. The fan on my 3700+ seems to be the loudest fan in the system.

looks good, the last couple of system's I bult where with Gigabyte boards and have been happy with them, good solid trouble free MB's in my experience (used to use Asus boards but had some trouble with a couple I had gotten, then tried gigabyte and have been happy so far.)

I upgrading my old rig from these specs: AMD 3700+, 2GB memory, DFI LanParty nF4 and EVGA 7800GT.

I plan on using:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Intel E8400

OCZ Gold 2X2GB DDR2 800

ASUS 4850 TOP 512 MB

Vista Home Premimum 64 bit OS

I'm undecided between ASUS and Gigabyte for the motherboard. It seems both are highly liked here.

Will this build be a good stable rig for my work applications and yet fast enough for most modern games? I like Half-Life, Call of Duty, Metal of Honor, Fear, Far Cry..... and so on.

I'm not a hard core gammer but I do love to play when time is available.

As configured, your system above costs $747.95 - $50 worth of MIRs on Newegg. I'd modify as follows:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R - P only adds one extra PCIe 16x slot, and it's only an 8x speed one. If you're thinking of xfiring the 4850, don't. The GTX 260 is a better card.

Intel E8400

G.Skill 4GB DDR2-1066 (PK) - far superior speed and overclocking potential

BFG GTX 260 Core 216 - Also comes with free copy of Far Cry 2

Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS

Total: $807.95 - $35 in MIRs.

Net difference: $75, for better performance out of the box and more overclocking headroom.

BTB, I've had the P5Q and UD3R, and the Gigabyte is the better board.

As configured, your system above costs $747.95 - $50 worth of MIRs on Newegg. I'd modify as follows:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R - P only adds one extra PCIe 16x slot, and it's only an 8x speed one. If you're thinking of xfiring the 4850, don't. The GTX 260 is a better card.

Intel E8400

G.Skill 4GB DDR2-1066 (PK) - far superior speed and overclocking potential

BFG GTX 260 Core 216 - Also comes with free copy of Far Cry 2

Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS

Total: $807.95 - $35 in MIRs.

Net difference: $75, for better performance out of the box and more overclocking headroom.

BTB, I've had the P5Q and UD3R, and the Gigabyte is the better board.

I see your point with the UD3R motherboard. So the 260 offers much better performance that the 4850? I am not going to use more than one graphics card.

I see your point with the UD3R motherboard. So the 260 offers much better performance that the 4850? I am not going to use more than one graphics card.

It kind of depends on what games and res. you run, but generally yes. if you run at 1280x1024 or less you probibly wont notice much of a difference in game play though (depending on the game of course).