Do Fan Controllers Require Special Fans?

boromake

I want to get a fan controller to manually control my fan speeds. I have 2 120mm fans in my case. Do I need a special type of case fan (if so what kind) to support manual fan speeds? Maybe it needs an extra set of wires on it or something?

And now a super noob question. Is there actually a difference in an intake fan vs an exhaust fan? Or is it just the same fan but you just flip it.

Thanks~

Is it better to have more intake or outake fans??

Cause i got 1 22cm blower intake fan on the side of my case, and another 120mm intake on the front in front of the hdd's. and just one 120mm outake fan.

Edited by Timmy94

Cause i got 1 22cm blower intake fan on the side of my case, and another 120mm intake on the front in front of the hdd's. and just one 120mm outake fan.

Im not an expert at all but I would think that it would at least depend on the case that you have, what hardward you have (and how much), etc. If you have a temperature monitor maybe you can just experiment by flipping the fans around and see which one gives you the lowest cpu temp.

And thanks for the 2 previous posts for answering my questions.

this can go to both you guys asking about intake/exhaust fans:

Everywhere i've read, people claim that having an intake:exhaust ratio slightly tipped in the intake direction. in other words, if you have 5 fans, 3 should be intake, 2 exhaust. if you have 3 fans, 2 should be intake, 1 should exhaust, etc etc... i'm pretty sure that is right for the most part. if anyone has a disagreement, feel free to throw it out there.

this can go to both you guys asking about intake/exhaust fans:

Everywhere i've read, people claim that having an intake:exhaust ratio slightly tipped in the intake direction. in other words, if you have 5 fans, 3 should be intake, 2 exhaust. if you have 3 fans, 2 should be intake, 1 should exhaust, etc etc... i'm pretty sure that is right for the most part. if anyone has a disagreement, feel free to throw it out there.

This is true because if you too many exhaust fans there will be an absence of air inside the case (negative air pressure) which can cause dust to get sucked and build up inside of the case; however, if you have more intake fans, then there will be more air within the case (positive air pressure) which will not negatively affect the cleanliness of the case interior.

Fans are fans, controllers vary the speed by varying the voltage. And yes, you just flip fans around to change the direction.

This is incorrect in several ways.

Fan controllers can adjust the speed by:

Linear voltage regulation

OR

PWM control

some fans can get quite noisy under PWM (e.g. Panaflo)

and quite a few digital fan speed controllers REQUIRE tacho reading as a feedback control/safety measure, so that low speeds can be attained without stalling - controllers with this feedback design CANNOT CONTROL fans that do not have the yellow speed pulse wire/circuitry - this results in the fans running at full speed only

Some fans with 3 wires do not have the speed sensing circuitry (e.g. some Delta), or have a different speed signal (e.g. some Panaflo)

In a nutshell,

more exhaust fans gives negative pressure, which gives you a cool case but dusty.

more intake fans gives positive pressure, which gives you not so cool case, but clean.

I run negative pressure, and have minimal dust problems, even with my case on the floor.