E5200 + P5q Pro First Oc, What Am I Doing Wrong?

yoseff

So I've done my first build on a basic gaming system, highlights are:

MB: Asus P5q Pro

CPU: Intel E5200

Cooler: Freezer Pro 7 w/ as5 paste

GPu: Ati 4850

Ram: Mushkin 2 x 2gig ddr2 800

Case: Antec 300 w/ 2 120 intakes added to stock 2 exh fans

PSU: OCZ 500w

So everything fired up great, no problems at all, very happy with out of the box performace of everything (running old p4 before) so my thoughts when doing all this was planning to OC this around 3.5 for some steady, realiable performance. Temps at idle are running 25 degrees with all fans on lowest settings right now...

So I read several oc guides, the one pasted here and on some other forums, this is my first oc, but for whatever reason when I try to oc I can not get the pc to post, maybe I need more volt but I think I'm doing something wrong with the ram settings. I've read of others just changing their settings to 333 or 400 x 9 and leaving everything else on auto and running great, btw this asus board is confusing for a noob.

What I've tried is

333 and 400 x 9

pci freq @ 100

vcore up to 1.2750

my ram I can't get lower than 801 mhz in the setting

I manually set 4-4-4-12, preset was 5-5-5-15 (I think?)

I cannot find where to disable speedstep in my bios, I'm not sure if there is something I just overlooking in the guides, if I just need to crank the volts up more, or what, realiability is very important, not trying to set any records, just want more performance, I stopped experimenting with it till I got some more info here, my next step would have been to add more volts but I also wasn't sure about the northbridge settings or volts... Guess I don't understand why some people only change a few things where others have to change it all and run high volts for similar outcomes.

Edited by yoseff

What revision is the processor? Use CPU-Z to find out. If it's an E0 you should be able to hold 4GHz with that cooler.

The SpeedStep and C1E options are located under the advanced Tab in the bios. Disable them both.

Edited by Odio

ok here's what you do:

go into bios and set your frequency to 400 X9

pci-e yto 100/101

then fst strap to 400

ram to 401

leave timings on auto for now in fact leave every thing to do with ram on auto til you can post windows successfuly

then cpu voltage put 1.3v because these boards drop it lower so it will be more like 1.28v actual

gtl refrence on auto

ram volts 2.2/2.1

fsb term on auto nb on auto and try booting see what happens

Major fubar on my part with my original post, cpu is a e5200... Minor difference, lol, the numbers are all running together now.

verzion is M0

setting to 350 x 9 and volts a 1.3250 I cannot get a post. But from what I've read that would be over 4.0 if it would run, but seems alot of people have got it past that, will try 333 x 9 later

Edited by yoseff

OK, so with following settings/changes:

333 * 9.5

pci 100

fsb strap 400

cpu volts 1.3500

ram volts 2.10

speedstep & cl disabled

=3.163 with voltage reading 1.336, just ran quick stresstest for 30 mins with no issues and max temp at 46, idle is 29

now with just changing

333 * 10.5

cpu volts 1.3400

=3.495 with voltage reading 1.328, stress test underway with max temp reading 47, idle is 30

333 * 11.5

cpu colts 1.3400

=3.828 with voltage reading 1.328, max temp hit 49

now I happened to look at the cpu reading in prime95 and it showed the cpu at 4.161

I tried 350 * 9 again and could not get a post, I assume that 333 is the limit for this chip, is that correct? I know this card runs 12.5 multi from the factory, is there a reason to stop below that or is it ok to run 12.5 as long as temps are ok and voltage is under 1.4, as this is going I'm pretty sure with 333 * 12.5 2 1.4 volts would get me just over 4.0 and temps should be well below 55 under full load. I'm I correct about the 333 max for the 5200 and the multiplier?

I know I should keep trying lower voltage settings till I can't post, is there anything else I should change/work on? Whats listed above are the only changes I have made to the bios, so far no errors with any tests above.

Edited by yoseff

The few internet sources I could track down were all using over 1.4 vCore to hit 4GHz. Most of them were using air. 1.4 on a 45nm is alright, it's the 1.5s you want to stay away from.

running 333 * 12.5 with 1.425 I could post but got errors with prime but was up to 4.162

dropped to 333 * 12 at 1.425 with put me at 3.995 error free, cpuz read volts at 1.4 even and max temp during stress test was 53.

Thanks for the help :-)

is there a way to see just how much power your system is using in that configuration? because i am building a rig ALMOST exactly like yours and would really like to know the wattage being consumed. a quick run through with the antec online estimator says something like 280. (i dont trust the wattage calculators online to be that accurate...i had to shoose the 7200 chip to work with.)

Edited by robAP