Evga Gtx 280 Oc Help

djrags

Ok, first of all I am fairly new at overclocking. In the past I have messed around with it here and there a couple times but never really understood what I was doing. Recently I have built a new rig and tried to get the best I could within my budget. My system is as follows:

Asus P5Q3-Deluxe

Intel Q6600 (G0) OC'd to 3.0ghz

1GBx4 DDR3 1333 (PC 10600) (i am not sure of timings)

EVGA GTX280 p/n: 01G-P3-1282-AR

1000watt PSU (i went overboard :)

Thermaltake Xaser Case with 8 system chassis fans

Vista Ultimate 32bit

Now I have been trying to OC my GTX280 for a week now and really can't figure out why it works in some benchmarks and then fails in games. for example, i've overclocked it to 700core/1400shader/1150mem and it finishes Vantage 06 with ease. But then I load up world of warcraft and it stutters and starts buggin out on me in the game. I have EVGA's precision tool loaded so i can view the GPU temps while in the game on my G15 keyboard. And when in the game, my temp remains decently low in the low 70's. I also have my fan speed at 90-100% as I don't care how loud my fans are. As long as everything stays cool that's all that matters to me.

So, I'm trying to seek some help if possible to figure out what my problem is. The stock settings on my specific card is 621core/1350shader/1134mem.

I also need help on OC'n my Q6600 further but i'll put that on a different thread later on. Right now I'm trying to see if I can push my GTX280 further. I've seen so many posts where people are OC'n their GTX260's way further than my 280 and that is heart breaking.

I appreciate all the help given and please forgive any of my noobness.

thanks.

download ATITool and do a "scan for artifacts"

look really closely at it for artifacting (ie, yellow or white dots the size of pixels) on the image, and have it run for at least the length of time you spend playing whatever game you play the longest. start with your card at stock speeds, if you don't get any artifacting at stock speeds, go ahead and increase clock speed a few (5-15) MHz at a time until you start getting artifacts, then do the same with your shaders and then with your Memory. that's how i did mine and it turned out pretty well. if anybody has any other tips or other ways to go about this, feel free to share.

also, i used RivaTuner to overclock mine, it does wonders and will monitor any info about your card, so i suggest you should use the same.

download ATITool and do a "scan for artifacts"

look really closely at it for artifacting (ie, yellow or white dots the size of pixels) on the image, and have it run for at least the length of time you spend playing whatever game you play the longest. start with your card at stock speeds, if you don't get any artifacting at stock speeds, go ahead and increase clock speed a few (5-15) MHz at a time until you start getting artifacts, then do the same with your shaders and then with your Memory. that's how i did mine and it turned out pretty well. if anybody has any other tips or other ways to go about this, feel free to share.

also, i used RivaTuner to overclock mine, it does wonders and will monitor any info about your card, so i suggest you should use the same.

thanks a ton for the info. I'll definetely do that when i get home from work today. also, my shaders are linked to my core clock speed. even if i unlink them i can't really change the core without equally moving the shader clock.

and i do use rivatuner as well but not to overclock. it seemed a tad bit too complicated and so i just use the evga precision tool. i use rivatuner to make sure my card isn't downclocking for the energy saver features.

thanks again.

no prob.

i seemed to think RT's overclocking was really easy, just move the sliders and "apply." granted if you want it to stay there, you have to save it to a profile, but other than that it's pretty simple.

Edited by turophiliac

oh guess i missed that

well after using the AVITool the best i can get stable is 680core/1360shader/1250mem. i'm really disappointed it's so low but i guess that's what i get for buying one of the lower end gtx280 models...lol.

thanks for all the help!!

well after using the AVITool the best i can get stable is 680core/1360shader/1250mem. i'm really disappointed it's so low but i guess that's what i get for buying one of the lower end gtx280 models...lol.

thanks for all the help!!

yeah, i figured your OC'd numbers were pretty high, GFX cards don't really overclock that well, but a little goes a long way.

You are welcome!

i'm pretty sure you can get the core to 702 if you leave the shaders where they are

nvrmnd i was thinking of the second lowest one but you should still be able to push it more when you unlink the shaders