Total Newbie Question About Arctic Silver 5...

I've been using a Core 2 duo processor for about 1 year with the thermal pad that came with the processor. I've recently become interested in overclocking and I was wondering if it is okay to remove the thermal pad, which by now has presumably melted, and use Arctic Silver 5 instead? I've read the Arctic Silver 5 directions, but I'm still a little bit unclear on this point. I also sent the company this question, but I haven't gotten a response yet and I'm impatient :) .

Assuming that it is okay to remove the thermal pad now, is isopropyl alcohol suitable for this?

Thanks for any help provided.

Isopropyl Alcohol is perfect, that's what most people here use to clean off the old thermal paste. Arctic Silver 5 is very much superior to the stock Intel stuff (and most other stock stuff for that matter), but on the stock cooler, you won't have that much fun overclocking, as the chip will simply get too hot. What hardware does your computer have? Maybe you can scratch up 40$ from somewhere and invest into an aftermarket cooler that will increase your overclocking potential a lot :)

Isopropyl Alcohol is perfect, that's what most people here use to clean off the old thermal paste. Arctic Silver 5 is very much superior to the stock Intel stuff (and most other stock stuff for that matter), but on the stock cooler, you won't have that much fun overclocking, as the chip will simply get too hot. What hardware does your computer have? Maybe you can scratch up 40$ from somewhere and invest into an aftermarket cooler that will increase your overclocking potential a lot :)

:withstupid:

Couldn't have said it better myself, and might I suggest one of the best suggestions around these parts...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835233003

Thanks for the info guys. I added my system specs to my sig if you're interested. Regarding the whole after market cooling thing, I don't really know much about overclocking, but it was my understanding that many people have successfully overclocked the e6420 using only the stock fan/heatsink that came with the processor?

At this point, I'm not looking for any crazy overclocks--I was just hoping to bump up the FSB a little bit without needing to increase the core voltage (and thus the heat). Is that possible? I'm using my PC primarily for games, do you think I can achieve an overclock without increasing the voltage that will have an impact on the frame rates I'm getting?

My thinking is that if you start sinking cash into various cooling solutions at some point you're better off buying a faster processor and using its stock cooling. Your thoughts?

Again, I'm a total newb--so these thoughts may be completely wrong. Please feel free to enlighten me. Thanks.

Yes, you can get a small overclock without adjusting the voltages, but it won't be much and probably won't produce a noticeable FPS increase. Buying that $40 heatsink will allow you to achieve overclocks that rival a processor at stock settings that you would spend $160 on to replace your current one with. I'd highly suggest spending $50 (AS5 and heatsink) and doing it right the first time.

Absolutely, you should definitely look into a third party cooler. You should be able to get something to last you for years, and if you get a nice overclock you may even extend the life of your current cpu a good year or more depending on what you do with it. Just make sure whatever you get will fit into your case and not interfere with your motherboard setup...check reviews and stuff before buying. You can expect some serious temp lowering with a good cooler.

There's just no need to spend the big bucks on the fastest stock cpu's, plus the folks on this forum will most likely be glad to help walk you through it every step of the way.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

Go ahead and overclock on the stock cooler for now, it's definitely possible, but believe me, you'll get addicted to OCing in no time :lol:

In light of what another poster said, I'm really tempted to just pay $40 and go for a bigger overclock. I really want to increase the performance of my PC during gaming and if I can't do that with overlocking using the stock cooler, as the poster suggested, then I better buy a third party cooler and try for a higher overclock.

In light of what another poster said, I'm really tempted to just pay $40 and go for a bigger overclock. I really want to increase the performance of my PC during gaming and if I can't do that with overlocking using the stock cooler, as the poster suggested, then I better buy a third party cooler and try for a higher overclock.

Congratulations. You have now entered Phase 1 of what's known as the "bug."

Without ever overclocking to begin with, the bug is more contagious than it's ever been. B:)