Gigabyte Memory Overclocking Question

SMeeD

Im not sure if Im over thinking or over looking something. Im sure not having much luck overclocking. Im having trouble getting my RAM stable at stock speeds. It works when I set it to 800mhz as in my picture, but when the right column says 1000mhz my computer cycles on and off at boot. Im using 2.1v at 5-5-5-15. Are the speeds in my picture not double pumped? It worked fine stock in my 680i and ran like that for a few months.

img1448jr0.jpg

The speeds in the BIOS are the effective DDR or Double Pumped figures. I had trouble with crucial ballistix in my Gigabut board. They wouldn't work @ stock either, I now have OCZ platinums & they work fine. Not sure whether it will have probs with G.Skill though. Maybe try some diff stix?

In addition to what has already been suggested, and this may very well sound a bit radical, but try switching back to "Auto" and see if you can get them stable at stock frequency then. It's a problem I had before and that was the solution, once I started to overclock the RAM and I manually set the timings that problem ceased to exist.

Funny and odd, but it worked. ;)

Like switching my timings back to auto? It detects my RAM as DDR2-800 so full auto settings might just reflect that speed. Ill give it a shot on a 1:1 divider, but Im not sure if my CPU is stable at that speed.

Edit* 1:1 multi 5-7-7-19 boots at 1000mhz Im going to try 5-5-5-15

Edit #2 It boots at stock settings on 1:1 but I had to drop my CPU multiplier to x7 because anything above that is unknown territory for me at the moment. Could it be my northbridge or core voltage?

Edited by SMeeD

Like switching my timings back to auto? It detects my RAM as DDR2-800 so full auto settings might just reflect that speed. Ill give it a shot on a 1:1 divider, but Im not sure if my CPU is stable at that speed.

Edit* 1:1 multi 5-7-7-19 boots at 1000mhz Im going to try 5-5-5-15

Edit #2 It boots at stock settings on 1:1 but I had to drop my CPU multiplier to x7 because anything above that is unknown territory for me at the moment. Could it be my northbridge or core voltage?

It could be either of the two, if not both of them. Try a small overvolt for the NB and see where that takes you.

Edited by r3d c0m3t

all i can say is maybe ur ram voltage is too low for the frequency to be 1000mhz.... i have corsair dominator ddr2 1066mhz 2 x 2gb and it runs stock at 1066 with a voltage of 2.1volts... if i change the frequency up abit it will just start up and turn on and off and keep doing that untill it resets the bios back to normal again... although i have not tried changing the ram voltage on my stiks.. i am rather sure its the ram voltage that is causing ur problems..

so maybe instead of leaving ur ram voltage on normal.... go to ur ram website and adjusting the voltage as specified on their web page... as for timing... just leave them on auto.. and can u take a screen pic of the upper bit of that page u are on?? ^_^ and system specs

thx

I think it might have something to do with running on a multiplier actually. It wouldnt boot when my CPU was at stock and I was using a divider on to get 1000mhz. Now Ive got it 1:1 and it hasnt given me any problems playing far cry 2. I kept my ram on 1:1 and increased my multi from x7 to x8 (3.5ghz to 4ghz) and Im doing Orthos blend. Im over an hour in and stability has gotten better each time Ive increased my vcore. Hopefully I can get over 2hrs into Orthos, play some FC2 without trouble and try for a higher speed.

A little OT but since Ive already started a thread for my stupid questions, whats the recommended voltage for a P45 north bridge? Mine has been on auto and it looks like its set to 1.1v.

@ D@3HaM1nGuk 2.1volts is what my RAM is rated for at stock, specified on the box. I adjusted the timings for what it said on the box as well. Ill try and remember to grab a screen shot for ya later on if Orthos fails. System specs are in my sig.

Edited by SMeeD