1st Build Computer Noob Needs Help!!

Barthole

hey there its my first build and im lookin to over clock my stuff i have a nzxt tempest case and im running Q6700 quad with 4 gigs of ram and a 9800gtx graphics card and a EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW Motherboard , Thermaltake / V1 / Multi-Socket 775/AM2/939/754 / Copper / CPU Cooler, And i have no idea where to start when it comes to over clocking so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

hey there its my first build and im lookin to over clock my stuff i have a nzxt tempest case and im running Q6700 quad with 4 gigs of ram and a 9800gtx graphics card and a EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW Motherboard , Thermaltake / V1 / Multi-Socket 775/AM2/939/754 / Copper / CPU Cooler, And i have no idea where to start when it comes to over clocking so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

hey cpu overclocking are normally done in the bios..

suggest u read up more on voltages for ur q6700

iirc..q6600 can be pumped to 4ghz using 1.5v..

so ya..:)

I am going to be honest but I think you need to get a better power supply. try a pc power and cooling or ocz. 700w ocz on sale a few places and the pc power&cooling 750 on sale also a few places. If at all you can send the one you have back you are probably going to have alot better base to start on.

also what OS are you using? that will make a difference wether 8 gigs will effect you. I would stick to the ones you already have only myself.

Edited by chemojay

I am going to be honest but I think you need to get a better power supply. try a pc power and cooling or ocz. 700w ocz on sale a few places and the pc power&cooling 750 on sale also a few places. If at all you can send the one you have back you are probably going to have alot better base to start on.

also what OS are you using? that will make a difference wether 8 gigs will effect you. I would stick to the ones you already have only myself.

what could/will happen if i keep the powersupply i mentioned and windows xp 07

i lied its a EVGA GeForce 9800 GT Superclocked Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, not a 9800 gtx

Is that the 64-bit XP? Because x86 will only recognize about 3.25gb...8gb would just be a waste of money and having that much in your PC unused may be a bad idea as well (probably would slow it down too). If you're running a 64-bit OS, I can't see 8gb slowing down your system...it should be nothing but good, especially with 64-bit Vista (XP may never use that much ram and probably won't).

What you gotta look for on your power supply is the 12v rail mainly, it's very important to have some serious amperage these days seeing as your video card alone is going to use quite a bit. Then there's your cpu (overclocked it's going to need even more). These things are very important to you I assume and quite pricey, you don't want them fried or taken down with a burnt out or worse power supply. The other thing to look for is QUALITY...this is very important in a power supply. Check out that 700W OCZ and you should see what I'm talking about...it probably sports some serious amperage on the 12v rail(s); probably has four or so! Scrimping on the PSU is just dangerous to your entire system and the last thing you would probably wanna do after a little research on the topic.

Edit: I just checked out the specs on your current PSU. You're 12v rails aren't terrible, but they are pushing it. You would probably be okay (especially not overclocked), but why put you're system in jeopardy over it? It's the quality of the brand that may bring other things into play (shorts, burning up, etc, etc) when running higher temps and testing stability when overclocking (that's another thing a quality PSU can bring into play for you...better cooling). And these new video cards are no joke when it comes to sucking up the amperage (amps are so much more important than total wattage, seeing as the cheaper PSU's will often skimp on the better ratings in the most important areas...such as those all important 12v rails). It's up to you, but I would check out that 700W OCZ (atleast just to see the difference in the amperage ratings and to check out the rails)...those things are beasts!

I hope I've been of help for you.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

I got my Q6700 to 3.6ghz on the evga 750i mobo.

CPU voltage: 1.475

FSB: 1440 (unlinked)

Multiplier: 10

You could push it up to 4Ghz, but that would require you to change the NB voltage as well. Not a good idea if your still new to OC.

Also, CPU voltage depends on you luck, some people could get to 3.6 with just 1.45 or less. Need to do some research before play around with your Bios.

I agree with the others, If you are planning to OC, you need to get a better PSU. Better in terms of stability, if not, you might end up "killing"your components.