Got An Interview!

Gr4vitas

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't though about shaving up lol. Right now I've got the 'scruff' look going lmao mostly because I'm lazy and hey, I'm in college who cares. But yea will have to clean up nice and such. I don't really have a tie and all the dress stuff but I have a collared shirt anyway? It's pink though lol, its an American Eagle polo would that be a bad choice?

Edit: Polo collared shirt in pink - American Eagle Jeans that I have - and my sneaks

don't wear jeans you dunce! :P

Edited by damian

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think a lot in the shower too :P

Who know what else :ph34r:

See I told ya lo would give you some good advice about this :) he gave me some good advice too back when I was job searching before I got the real estate job

Who know what else :ph34r:

See I told ya lo would give you some good advice about this :) he gave me some good advice too back when I was job searching before I got the real estate job

Indeed, hope he sees my post at the top of this page lol. :thumbs-up:

Indeed, hope he sees my post at the top of this page lol. :thumbs-up:

All I have to say is good luck usually when you try to plan out what your going to say for an interview it sometimes goes totally different than what you think. I hate myself for saying this but "Just go with the flow"

EDIT: I always plan out what I am going to say and I always end up saying something different cause the conversation goes somewhere else lol

Being shaved is not important I just guess in my opinion it gives a good impression. As first the shirt I don't know what to tell you lol. I never wear polos if I have to go in for an interview. Most of the time I wear what I recommended to you lol

Being clean shaven is a HUGE thing. Your face is one of the first thing your employer sees. Morning stubble isn't attractive to most customers, and that interviewer will make up their mind about you very quickly.

PS :google:http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewatt...erviewdress.htm

EDIT: Just saw what you're planning on going in... impression means a lot with retail. Going in clothing like that is saying "Nah, I really don't care about the job." Especially if you're working a position in which you NEED to come across as professional and serious.

I'm a firedog as well. been there for about 2 years as well as Lo. KB is exactly right...shave the grunge. It changes your look and appearance greatly for the better.

I didn't start out as a firedog, so that's not what I was interviewed for, so i can't tell you exactly how THOSE particular interview go. I didn't start out with any certifications when i moved to firedog, but they will more than likely push for you to get the "in-house firedog" certification as i call it which involves probably 8-10 hours of "e-learnings" followed by a cumulative test that are video-based trainings/quizzes (depending on if you actually watch the videos before you take the quiz - some you can skip, but others will be very specific about SOP and SOW, aka standard operating procedures and scope of work). If you wanna go for microsoft certification, once you complete the inhouse cert you can request the microsoft certification training, which i haven't attempted yet. it's about 4 times longer than the firedog cert, but again is not required.

If the one who interviews you is the technology supervisor or better yet the lead firedog in the store, MAKE SURE to tell them that you are good with following directions and you are very consistent with your work and can be very detailed with leaving notes, etc. this is very important. however, tell that to whoever interviews you anyway just to be sure. like i referenced in the paragraph above, the SOPs and SOWs are VERY heavily pushed by corporate. the SOPs (standard operating procedure) and SOWs (scope of work) are directions and rules on how to perform EVERY SINGLE service. these are in place to keep every service consistent, so each customer gets the same treatment as anyone else, and nothing is left out or something added and not charging the customer.

tell them that you enjoy problem solving (definitely involved in troubleshooting pcs) and enjoy sense of accomplishment after figuring something out. assuming you have enough experience with PCs, the interviewer (possibly lead firedog or technology supervisor) may ask you certain troubleshooting questions. the technology supervisor/manager is the one above the "tech" department, such as computers, cameras, monitors, etc. again, that all depends on who interviews you. in our store there is really only one or two people who interview potential new-hires, and don't particularly know all the innards of how things are operated behind the bench. although i can't tell you what to expect out of your interview, i can tell you the things that the right person wants to hear.

dress no less than a polo and khakis, although i probably wouldn't go suit and tie. the only person i've seen come to our circuit city dressed in a suit and tie for an interview didn't get the job, but i wasn't there for the interview itself so i can't tell you how that went. blue-jeans would be a no-no, they kind of show a little bit of unprofessionalism. go to goodwill and buy a decent pair of khakis (that fit) for a few bucks if you are concerned about not having the right attire.

so shave the stubble, shower up, and get clean. also if you wear cologne...keep it to a minimum if you just HAVE to wear it. you may think it smells good but it's possible someone may think it wreaks (reminds me of anchorman...). tell them you are consistent, clear at following directions, detailed with notes, and enjoy troubleshooting and problem solving. however if you don't have at least half of those qualities...you probably won't get the job, or at least keep it very long. at the end of last year we probably had 2 or 3 firedogs that didn't stay with us for over a month at a time.

don't be nervous, be casual, shake your interviewers hand and introduce themselves and once it's over shake their hand again as well as thank them for the opportunity and you'll be looking forward to hearing from them. that's the perfect way to begin and end the interview.

let us know how it goes.

Edited by airman

I'm a firedog as well. been there for about 2 years as well as Lo. KB is exactly right...shave the grunge. It changes your look and appearance greatly for the better.

I didn't start out as a firedog, so that's not what I was interviewed for, so i can't tell you exactly how THOSE particular interview go. I didn't start out with any certifications when i moved to firedog, but they will more than likely push for you to get the "in-house firedog" certification as i call it which involves probably 8-10 hours of "e-learnings" followed by a cumulative test that are video-based trainings/quizzes (depending on if you actually watch the videos before you take the quiz - some you can skip, but others will be very specific about SOP and SOW, aka standard operating procedures and scope of work). If you wanna go for microsoft certification, once you complete the inhouse cert you can request the microsoft certification training, which i haven't attempted yet. it's about 4 times longer than the firedog cert, but again is not required.

If the one who interviews you is the technology supervisor or better yet the lead firedog in the store, MAKE SURE to tell them that you are good with following directions and you are very consistent with your work and can be very detailed with leaving notes, etc. this is very important. however, tell that to whoever interviews you anyway just to be sure. like i referenced in the paragraph above, the SOPs and SOWs are VERY heavily pushed by corporate. the SOPs (standard operating procedure) and SOWs (scope of work) are directions and rules on how to perform EVERY SINGLE service. these are in place to keep every service consistent, so each customer gets the same treatment as anyone else, and nothing is left out or something added and not charging the customer.

tell them that you enjoy problem solving (definitely involved in troubleshooting pcs) and enjoy sense of accomplishment after figuring something out. assuming you have enough experience with PCs, the interviewer (possibly lead firedog or technology supervisor) may ask you certain troubleshooting questions. the technology supervisor/manager is the one above the "tech" department, such as computers, cameras, monitors, etc. again, that all depends on who interviews you. in our store there is really only one or two people who interview potential new-hires, and don't particularly know all the innards of how things are operated behind the bench. although i can't tell you what to expect out of your interview, i can tell you the things that the right person wants to hear.

dress no less than a polo and khakis, although i probably wouldn't go suit and tie. the only person i've seen come to our circuit city dressed in a suit and tie for an interview didn't get the job, but i wasn't there for the interview itself so i can't tell you how that went. blue-jeans would be a no-no, they kind of show a little bit of unprofessionalism. go to goodwill and buy a decent pair of khakis (that fit) for a few bucks if you are concerned about not having the right attire.

so shave the stubble, shower up, and get clean. also if you wear cologne...keep it to a minimum if you just HAVE to wear it. you may think it smells good but it's possible someone may think it wreaks (reminds me of anchorman...). tell them you are consistent, clear at following directions, detailed with notes, and enjoy troubleshooting and problem solving. however if you don't have at least half of those qualities...you probably won't get the job, or at least keep it very long. at the end of last year we probably had 2 or 3 firedogs that didn't stay with us for over a month at a time.

don't be nervous, be casual, shake your interviewers hand and introduce themselves and once it's over shake their hand again as well as thank them for the opportunity and you'll be looking forward to hearing from them. that's the perfect way to begin and end the interview.

let us know how it goes.

Awesome dude thanks a ton for the info! Much appreciated and yea I'm going to ask my parents if I can bum a few bucks off them to get some khakis and a button down shirt and tie. Try to get some dress shoes as well. Yea I'm also going to try to get it in that I'm studying to be a Computer Engineer, thus problem solving is my life lol. Also going to try to get across that I've been building and trouble shooting computers for over 6 years so its like second nature to troubleshoot. Anyway thanks again for the info, was really helpful and I will most definitely get some nice cloths.

Edit: And I can't stand cologne, sometimes I think people try to substitute deodorant with it, its terrible.

Edited by Gr4vitas

Best solution: Goodwill or another second hand store. Seriously, I found $125 paintball pants there for $8. Walk in with $20 and you'll be able to find yourself a full setup (shoes, tie, shirt, suit, pants) and then some.

Goodwill is the bees knees. I got several of my sweatervests there for 2 dollars each!