Remote Desktop Won't Connect

IIxNullxII

Well... it connects, it just won't let me log in. I get to the remote PC's login screen, enter the password, it goes to 'welcome' with the hour circle (vista) then it says logging off and then disconnects me from the remote pc.

AARRGGG!!!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Null

Does the user account you are logging in with of RDP permissions? Has this same connection worked before or has it never worked?

It's actually an HTC Diamond I'm logging in with. I wonder if adding it to the list of permitted computers will work. Where would I get it's network name? Connect to wifi and check the router for attached devices maybe? It's never worked before on my Vista box, but it has with my XP box.

Null

Yes, adding it to the permitted computers list and making sure the user account has RDP access would both be necessary, but as for finding the network name on a smart phone I have no clue. Checking the attached devices on the router might work. In fact I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Might not even be related, but for some reason when remote into my server @ home from my laptop it prefix's the Username for the machine with a reverse lookup of the external IP. And for it to let me log in I have to delete that and use just the username.

Sounds like you are getting booted out before that even happens, but if there is a way to make sure it's not happening in the background somewhere it might be worth looking into it. But I would check what Nerm suggested first.

Just something I noticed on my own remote desktop stuff. But i'm also going XP Pro to Server 03, so I think things are a little less complicated than in your setup.

• 3 weeks later...

If I type in ipconfig /all aren't I just going to get a 192.168.xxx.xxx address

Or should I use the information from my modem itself at 192.168.2.1

It gives me all the info such as IP address

gateway address and dns servers.

If so all I should need to do is open a port on my friends router to get a connection....correct?

So again what I'm contemplating doing is taking the modem IP address and entering it statically in the control panel under network connections.

what do you think? Should this work?

if you have windows, then check if your remote desktop service is running

do run/services.msc and check for 'remote desktop connection' and enable it. there may also be some other services required for it to work correctly