Ram Settings?

I found the ram settings guide but am still not sure about settings and how to use them.

I read where someone said they were running their DDR2 800 ram 4-4-4-12 at 5-5-5-18 1000mhz and I don't understand what is the best settings to run it at, I couldn't find a newbies guide to understanding ram and its settings. I apologize if this is posted somewhere and I missed it.

Edited by dollhobbs

I hope this helps. Try this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

Asus used to have the best explanation of the CAS latency cycle. It also explained the difference between DDR2 & DDR3. I couldn't find this link for you. Basically there is a delay between the time the system "strobes" the memory to either read or write. Then when the cycle is sufficient for a reply the computer takes a read or write action. What you need to remember is the shorter the CAS latency the better. HOWEVER!, one must remember the faster that memory goes the greater the latency. Now we are talking about micro seconds here, but that is a long time for a computer. DDR2 Memory up until recently was considered best for gamers. DDR3 reads in larger blocks where DDR2 reads in smaller blocks. Most games read in smaller blocks. NOW KEEP IN MIND THAT COMPUTERS ARE ALWAYS CHANGING! What was the preferred yesterday is not the preferred today. Lately DDR3 has been taking off to access the faster speeds available. (Including Gaming machines) Also, CAS latency can be manipulated to pull more data by extending the read/write cycle a bit. Yes, that means making the last cycle a bit longer. I know this is confusing but read the link for a better explanation. What is really important is that this has to do with timing numbers. That is all that most people know about it. Now if you are thinking about tinkering with the system remember you may have to bump the voltage up a bit. Some MB will allow this others won't. Some MB do this for you and others won't. Even the pro's just experiment with the numbers to see what will work best in a given system. If you do bump up the voltage make certain you don't over voltage the memory sticks. Different manufacturers have different tolerances. (Check your's) and good hunting.

Thanks for the info it helps. my ram is rated at 4-4-4-12 at 2.2v 800mhz, so when I have it linked to QDR and have QDR @ 1500 for 3.34ghz it jumps the ram freq to 1067 or something close to that and it seems that that is one heck of a jump so I leave it unlinked for now. This also happens when I set it to 1:1 ratio. Is this unsafe and don't do it or how do I deal with it?

Edited by dollhobbs

I found the ram settings guide but am still not sure about settings and how to use them.

I read where someone said they were running their DDR2 800 ram 4-4-4-12 at 5-5-5-18 1000mhz and I don't understand what is the best settings to run it at, I couldn't find a newbies guide to understanding ram and its settings. I apologize if this is posted somewhere and I missed it.

DDR2 800MHz using Heatspreader, wa can set to 4-4-4-15 /w command 2T @ 2.2v

if 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 /w command 2T @ 2.3-2.4v

To DollHobbs,

I noticed the next entry who has a striker II 780i. I am on a budget myself so I always try to get stuff on sale cheap! As for the 780i as a A+ certified tech, I know for a fact that both the XFX and Striker II are first rate MoBo's. I envy you. As for both of these as I recall the MoBo's will try to find the fastest speed automatically for memory. In essence, I believe the answer to your question is "No", I don't believe that situation will hurt your memory. However, If your memory does not have a heat spreader, I would recommend one. (No matter what it can't hurt it unless you short something out putting it on wrong which almost never happens) I would also recommend a memory cooling fan. There are several available that are not expensive at all. I don't think either board comes with one built in.