Known Zone Alarm And Automatic Update Problem And Fix

jaz

When i turned on my pc today I couldn't connect to the internet because i DL the latest security updates from micorsoft via automatic updater. They are all ok except for one file, Which i didn't think to copy or write down to post here at the time. But it's a workaround that enables functionality of your internet connection through ZA. I went nuts, un-installing and re-installing and configuring ZA, so i disabled it, went to their site, and had to wait in cue for 15 minutes to be told what to do. But i did get a toll free #, thought it's probably pretty busy. 1-877-966-5221. They will instruct you on how to delete that certain upate # from add-remove programs-windows updates list. Now it works ok, though i have to "re-train" ZA agan.

Or you can wait in cue to "chat" with an online rep if you don't get a person on the phone within a reasonable time period.

Edit; this is for winxp home, 32bit.

Edited by jaz

Can you tell us which update # it is? I'm having the same problem as I type this and I'd rather not have to wait to talk or chat with someone.

EDIT: NVM, you said you didn't write it down. Reading comprehension FTW! :P

I tried to copy the update list so you can compare with mine to see which one was missing, but couldn't find a way to do it, but I'm pretty sure it was this one. Alternatly, you can just delete todays security updates altogether. I'm sure you'll still be ok. In the meantime, you can search microsucks website for the file and delete it. I looked , but i can't find it.

I recommend turning off automatic updates in services, or you'll be pestered constantly to update. I don't know when it will be ok to turn it back on...lol. Friggin' microsucks. Bah.

Edit; The update to delete is # KB951748.

2nd Edit; Now i get a pop-up notice for an update from ZA. So i dl the fix, go to micro$uck$ update, dl the deleted file, and i still couldn't connect to internet. The fix didn't work for me. So i deleted the file again and told the stupid ZA reminder not to bother me again for a week.

Edited by jaz