Random Freezes/eratic Colours In Wow/aoc

I had the exact same problem. Artifacts and random freezes in wow no matter what the video settings. Turns out the graphics card's fan was so full of dust and crap it could not ventilate. The problem is cause by cooling. 100%. Also check if it is not overclocked 'too' much. It's just possible the guys who sold you the card may have omitted to test it at those OC'ed specifications.

I tried that. I cleaned out my entire PC. The card's fan isnt bad. I installed windows 7 and it seemed to fix the problem for about a day. Then all of a sudden windows decided to announce that it had turned off both my gpu's because they somehow malfunctioned. I just grabbed a new gts 250 and it comes tomorrow. I'll let you know if that fixes the problem. I do remember though that after a reboot from installing some random windows updates that I got the BSOD and after that windows hardware manager keeps reporting a code 43 for my graphics card. So rivatuner, and nvidia control panel both give me an error saying there is no graphics card there, yet I can still use my computer. I just cant run anything that requires the gpu like wow or crysis or css. Is there anyway to specifically see whats wrong with it? I'd hate to just toss it out.

also I know it wasnt a cooling problem because after reinstalling windows it worked for a few days perfectly. It's temp never went above 81c and I thought that was high for anything in the computer, but nvidia said that these cards were meant to run really hot. It generally averaged at 73c or 74c, even at full settings. I have a pretty decent airflow through my case.

It isn't overclocked at all, and I bought it from newegg and it was unopened and not refurbished. It was brand new when I recieved it. Its been installed for about 2 years with no real major problems other than this.

Edited by Omegaboost

Step1: Get Everest. It's a nifty tool. Step2: get a benchmarking tool such as Futuremark 2006. start stressing your GPU by applying max settings to futuremark and check the temps. to check the temps while Everest is on go to the tray and select system tools. One of the options there will display a graph with temps . The GPU will most likeley not be selected. Go to Preferences and select to show temps for the GPU. After starting futuremark start observing temps on your GPU and GPU diode. My 6600 would go unstable at about 90+ degrees Celsius. But I agree with the last poster. The card is most likely broken. A 250 is a great choice.

Ok so Obviously nothing was able to pick up my gpus because windows disabled them, like rivatuner, even windows. I put the gts 250 in this morning and it works great. I actually a higher average framerate than the 9800 gx2. I believe that your right it is broken because I have no issues anymore. I did post in the nvidia forums and found a lot of people with the same problem. People belive that it was the new drivers nvidia released. I doubt it I think it was just a coincidental harware failed after 2.5 years of releasing this card. Is there anyway to actualy tell what's wrong with it and fix it? I don't think it's under warrenty anymoe I never registered it.

ugh... why don't you people make new posts for this stuff, digging up a 2 year old post is NOT necessary. make a new thread & i'll move the posts there. PM me with a link if/when you do