Drivecage Mod

Guest terminator_merged

Guest terminator

Hi Guys

I was wondering how I could improve the airflow, on my Antec Nine Hundred,

meanwhile, retaining both my (standard) Optical Drive, my Floppy Drive, (and my cash !)

The best bet, seemed to be to get everything possible out of the way, of my two front 120's, and make sure they were delivering 100%.

First, I got hold of a scrap pc case, and drilled out the 'pop' rivets, holding the Drivecage.

Then I bent both sides at 90 degrees, to leave a Drive bay capable of holding: 1 x FDD and 2 x HDD's :

000_0061.jpg

The sides were cut, to leave half an inch (approx) 'mounting feet' :

000_0062.jpg

80/92mm fan mounting and grille also cut from scrap case, (although the grille could be removed, if desired) :

000_0069.jpg

and bolted to Drivecage :

000_0064.jpg

And

000_0065.jpg

It only occupies the two lower bays on the Nine-Hundred :

000_0066.jpg

And

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj16/te.../000_0067-1.jpg

I found a wooden 'spacer' was needed, to give enough clearance for the HDD cables (plywood is best) :

000_0068.jpg

FDD & HDD's fitted :

000_0070.jpg

Completed assembly, with 80mm fan (all I had handy !) LOL :

000_0072.jpg

Fitted in Case, showing unobstructed airflow from the two front 120's !

and the topmost bay still available, so you can retain your standard optical drive :

000_0074.jpg

Haven't got a photo handy of Case front unfortunately, but the FDD occupies the next to lowest, 'blanking plate slot'.

(If you'd like to keep the 'Blue' theme, you could always make the HDD/FDD fan an LED one).

Cheers

terminator :)

Guest terminator

Cheers man. :)

The fan's meant to draw air from the lowest front mesh 'blanking plate', over the HDD's, into the Case. Hopefully, this will cool them better than some of the HDD Coolers, on the market.

(It really deserves a better fan, than the one shown, and that grille, on reflection, definately needs reducing/removing).

The FDD mounting slots had to be 'elongated' a little, to allow a slight upward tilt to the Drive and align with the Antec FDD front plate.

(The 900 shown was completed without this Drivecage, as it's meant for another Case, but hope to post other mods to the Case shown, shortly).

Cheers and Happy Modding

Guest Blooz1

Nicely done, terminator!

A well thought out mod, and a great job of presenting it!

In the future, I suggest using IMG tags instead of HTML tags. All of your images are 800 x 600, which fits the rules OK. Using the IMG tags allows the images to display in the post.

[i M G]http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj16/terminatorphoto/000_0074.jpg[/i M G] <- without the spaces between the letters in the IMG tag...

Comes out like this:

000_0074.jpg

It just makes it a lot easier for us to enjoy, without having to click and close a whole bunch of windows.

Thanks for sharing - looking forward to more posts in the mods section. ;)

Guest terminator

Thanks for the tip, t_ski.

I assume you mean the 'bottom' box on the: Photobucket pages.(?)

I've been using 'Direct Link' up to now, and thinking it was ok, because I was able to get a lot of photos on the Forum, without taking too much space up &

guys having to do a lot of 'scrolling'. Anyhow will give it a try.

Cheers