My Computer Is Turning Itself Off.

Kenichisan

I just got one of these shuttle XPC cube thingies, it's the nForce2 one, I've got an Athlon XP 2500 Barton in it, a GeForce 4 4200, 120gig Maxtor HD, 52x MSI CD-RW, and a modem in it, and it's turned itself off about 4 times since I built it this afternoon. I had this happen a couple times in my old case (it was an Aspise X-Pider case with an MSI nForce2 board in it) and it happened a few times one day and stopped.

My system is running pretty hot in this thing. It's at about 52 celcius, because it's got this crazy heatsink with heatpipes running to a case fan, it's pretty strange. So I'm thinking, maybe I'm running too hot and it's shutting itself down, maybe it's the 200watt PSU being over burdened, maybe it's the PSU being just downright bad (though I've never heard anyone complain about it before) or maybe I've got a virus or something? it's completely random, it happens when I'm browsing the web or just average computer stuff (I was playing Counterstrike earlier and it did just fine) so I'm doubting the overheating thing, but I really don't know. If anyone has any ideas, help me out.

Thanks!

:withstupid:

Who is the manufacturer of the PSU?  I recommend at least 350W; most users have 400W.  Check the amps for the 12V.

It's a mini ITX system, they only make up to about 280's with those, 200 is standard. Plus it has a lower power vid card. Nothing like a 9800XT

It could be the PSU, but I think they expect a certain amount of power draw with those things and would design accordingly. It may be the PSU that is bad, but I doubt it's the 12V rail output if it's running fine during gameplay.

My guess would be the power connection plug on the back of the PSU, if it gets jiggled around (moved on desk, tapped by foot) it could be a cause. Those things are built to be small and can't be built like a mac truck.

You know what, I think it might be the cord, because I can only get it to come back on after I unplug the chord from the PSU and plug it back in, and that would also explain why it happened on the old case with it's 430watt PSU, cause I didn't even bother with changing out the power chord.

Yeah, 200watt seems low but it's built for this, it's got a tiny motherboard that's custom built for the case. I'd rather have a bigger PSU but I know my stuff well enough to have considered that before I bought it. It runs rock solid except it turns off sometimes (which hasn't happened since I posted that)

I have another question, too. I'll post it in a new thread so everyone will notice it though.

I'm gonna switch the chord and see if that stops happening. Thanks