8800GT working in pci-ex 8x !!?

malka001

Hi,

i just received a zotac 8800GT card, installed it on my dfi expert (in higher pci-ex 16x slot), so single gpu, no sli, and it didn't boot.

(fan 100% never stopping, no vga signal).

I'm obliged to put ENABLED the option 'dual nv chip' in the bios to have a vga signal.

And under windows, everest and cpuz indicates my card running in pci-ex 8x...

if i don't put this option enabled, my computer boots (i can hear windows starting) but i have no vga or dvi signal, black screen...

Could it be a compatibility issue with pci-ex 2.0 card and pci-ex 1.x ???

May be i doesn't make a big difference 8x and 16x, but it's frustrating.

Anyone got this issue ?

Currently available PCI-e graphics cards (even the 8800GT) don't fully saturate the x8 bandwidth; so you won't see any real world difference between it running at x8 vs x16, only time you might see differences is for benchmarks.

Shouldn't be an issue with PCI-e 2.0 vs PCI-e 1.1 since the 8800GT is designed to be fully backwards compatible.

Which motherboard are you running? I had the same problem would take forever to post. My red lights were flashing and all kinds of stuff. Were you running SLI? if so make sure your bios settings for the sli are all turned off. i didnt and i was getting the 8x thing as well. Hope that helps.

If you have to research your bios settings and see.

Which motherboard are you running? I had the same problem would take forever to post. My red lights were flashing and all kinds of stuff. Were you running SLI? if so make sure your bios settings for the sli are all turned off. i didnt and i was getting the 8x thing as well. Hope that helps.

If you have to research your bios settings and see.

same motherboard as you : dfi nf4 expert

All leds are flashing 4 or 5 times, and it boots.

If i put all SLI bios options OFF, the system boot and i can hear windows starting, but i have no vga/dvi signal, and black screen, and the fan of graphic card never stops, running full.

If i enable in genie bios settings 'dual nv chip...' (supposed to be for 6600gt sli), then i have a signal, and it works, but in 8x mode.

i tried last dfi expert bios, and merlin bios, same issue.

I think it's a problem with the dfi board and new 8800gt cards !?

how did you solve your problem ?

I am using the ocz tonys bios off of the tmods cd. That one works the best for me.

Now i fixed my problem by going into genie bios settings>PCI express configuration and setting it to 2-1-1-16. That gave me my 16x times back. And it stopped the leds from flashing over and over again. Pain in the butt took forever to post. So everthing is happy now.

Hope that helps let us know if that fixes your problem.

BTW you can see i am using an 8800gt as well and no problems either on XP or Vista.

this setting is already on 2-1-1-16....

but what is the 'ocz tonys bios', bios for dfi expert ?

never heard about that, where can i find this bios ?

anyway, i think my dfi expert crashed yesterday, during orthos bench.

Now, when i start the motherboard , 4 leds on, no beeps, fans are on, and anything happen...

but what is the 'ocz tonys bios', bios for dfi expert ?

never heard about that, where can i find this bios ?

It's a version of the BIOS that has been tweaked/tuned by OCZTony (one of the OCZ reps here).

probably the easiest way to get it is to flash it from Tmod's BIOS CD.

Rad, When they gonna make you a mod? I remember they took my advice and gave you an avatar when i voted you get one...lol. Maybe the mod Gods will hear this and crown you??

You might as well be, you're always around, as helpul as the most helpul can be, and have the personality for it. By the way, have a look at Arlies reply i posted.