Help!!!!!

OK, first off I have one issue going on with two computers. Mine in my sig and another with the same motherboard. Both are/were running 406BTA Bios i beleive. One with XP Pro the other with Vista Ultimate Then one day, the computer not in my sig just stopped working, won't power on at all, press the power button and nothing, not even from the hard switch on the mobo. Then maybe a week later (today), the computer in my sig won't turn on, same issue, get absolutely nothing. I tried clearing cmos with the jumper for like 10 min and still nothing. It's very odd that both systems would just bam stop when they worked perfectly fine the day before. So my feeling is it's the Bios somehow. Is there another way to clear the cmos better or anything? what can I do? Couldn't be any kind of virus could it? I clean my computers on a weekly basis and it's always just harmless stuff like cookies that are found. the government? I'm really frustrated what can i do. Ram LED is also dimly lit and one status LED is on.

It's running a SmartPower 450W. Yeah Yeah I know minimum 480W or whatnot, but it has always run fine and like I said is less than a year old. So I don't want to hear , oh you're underpowered, cause I know. This is not the case with what is in my sig though, so...

For your sig rig even the 520W is on the low side. Underpowered PSUs will often run the rig for quite some time, but are prone to early/sudden failure.

Have you tried jumstarting your PSU with a paper clip or replacing the PSU with a known good one?

I'm not sure how to jumpstart a PSU. These are the only 2 PSUs I have unfortunately. I just tried removing the battery and clearing CMOS for 30 min. with no positive results. I may pick up a new PSU tomorrow to test if that's that is the case. Both PSUs are still under warranty so I'm not so upset that I'd have to shell out for new PSUs.

Jumpstarting is achieved by shorting the green line on the 20/24 pin MB connector to any of the black leads; if the PSU doesn't come on then it's definitely dead, if it powers up then it's usually good (but not always).

i have two 520's, both work wonderfully, just one of them not so well on a DFI, but runs fine on another board. BTW, the 520 with slight DFI problems is an earlier model, not specifically SLI rated like the newer ones are....

depending on your vid card and number of periphials attached, the 520 could be strained...and the 450 is definately gonna give you problems, sooner or later.

also, checking the PS's to jump start doesn't test or strain anything on the PS, all you are doing is starting it up without any LOAD, it may very well start and humm along, put a load on it, then no workie. same for 3.3, 5.0 and 12 volt line testing, checking volts without a load is not going to tell you much, other than the PS will work without a load on it.

there are so many threads RE: power supply problems it should be a manlaw that all posters read up on the problems first, then take appropriate action based on the approved PS listings contained here at the DIY....

laterzzzz