Who here thinks Metroid Prime for gamecube sucked?

Thasp

Not I or most people who played it when it came out. Scored perfect scores in magazines at the time. (Angry - he is referring to the original on GameCube, not Wii)

When it came out it looked sharper and played better than most if not all of the XBox 1 games which is a strong statement considering the original Xbox overpowered the pathetic GameCube. Difference in horsepower wasn't as great as the current difference between the 360 and the Wii, but still great enough to where no GameCube game should even close to or beating the best of the best of Xbox 1 games.

It is a tough game so if you don't bring your skill it can get frustrating. You really do have to use every piece of equipment you get and every technique you learned along the way to beat some of those bosses ...especially the snow boss (the giant).

I've played a ton of games before.

This one didn't feel like a game. It felt like work. Half the time I had no idea where the fvck I was supposed to be going and when I did it was always a chore with minimal reward.

Easily mistakeable Angry, especially since a new Prime just came out.

So how far did you get into it Thasp? Did you get to the Ice section of the game?

I actually thought the game was really good in telling you where you needed to go. If you were just idling an alarm would sound telling you to check the map and it would go to the exact room where you needed to be. It didn't matter where you where, you could zoom in/out each room on the map and rotate it around so you could get the dimensions and the door locations. That's the slickest map system I have seen to date. You could map out your whole path even if you were in an entirely different district. I say all that but yes there were times I scratched my head, though after a certain point that pretty much became a thing of the past. Not sure if it is just because I got used to the game or if because the beginning was a little weak. But Metroid games are famous (not infamous) for giving you a lot of freedom to moving around at your own discretion. You should see the 1st Metroid game.

I do remember one room where it was tricky to find my way up top because the path up there was camoflauged by the environment but at the same time... right in front of you. My friend in Boston got tripped up on the exact same part till i explained it on the phone.

I didn't really feel the game got interesting till the Ice section and after that I was hooked. For me, though the real prize was fighting those bosses and winning because it was all based on skill. I'm gonna pick on Ninja Gaiden because its touted as being the hardest (fun) game that drove many people batty. Difference btwn Prima and Gaiden despite the overall difference is Gaiden would give you the worst camera angles ever so you could only see the enemies if they are right on top of you, then they would flank you from all directions fast like and have dude you can't see in the background throwing stars at you as you let off the block to counter attack. The bosses hit extremely hard and have greater reach than what the swipe graphic shows.

Prime, once you figure out the plan of attack you need it is just a matter of executing it rather than the bosses just being cheap and trying to get lucky. Though the bosses were challenging in that you had to use every technique you learned thus far and every weapon/item. For example, on the Ice Giant boss you have to cycle thru your different viewing goggles and weapons as well as using morph ball mode to be fast enough to move away when he charges you. Alll this is real time btw, you don't pause the game to switch weapons or goggles. By far the hardest boss but the whole time you know exactly what you need to do, it is just a matter of improving yourself well enough to do it. It took me a couple different sessions to beat him, but as you can tell by me explaining it... it was one of the best damn boss battles I have ever had. When a game can challenge me without unrealistic cheapness (read DMC3) than there is reward far greater than what most games these days provide.

I really can't think of a game that gave me more than what I put into it.