Problems with stuttering after changing to X2

*** RESOLVED ***

Well, after replacing my Opteron 144 with a X2 4200+, I've been having problems with graphics and sound stuttering. I have the correct HAL installed and also installed the AMD and Microsoft dual core drivers/optimizers. As a last resort I tried reinstalling Windows and drivers but that didn't help either. The problem increases when the hard drive is under load, for example if I'm downloading something at the same time as I play some music in WinAmp, even if it's to a different harddrive. I've run several tests to check that my harddrives aren't dying, including full surface scan with Samsung's diagnostic tools. What could be causing this? I've tried all sorts of things, including installing Windows on a different hard drive, no result. It's quite frustrating to say the least.

I have the CPU overclocked at 300x10 1.475V right now, using OCZ Tony's 0406BTA BIOS. Also, should probably mention that I'm using the Realtek SPDIF output to my Logitech Z-5500, but it's the same problem with analogue (spelling?) sound.

Any input is highly appreciated, feels like I'm gonna throw this piece of crap out the window soon. :sad:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you updated the firmware on your samsung HDDs yet? Your problem sound more like an audio driver issue. Do you have the latest from Realtek for your OS?

There is only the NVIDIA SATA controller on your mobo.

have you updated the firmware on your samsung HDDs yet? YOu problem sound more like an audio driver issue. Do you have the latest from Realtek for your OS?

Updated firmware on my harddrives? Nope, never done such a thing, haven't heard of it either :confused: Didn't even know that was possible. Yup, latest audio drivers for the Realtek chipset, also tried Nvidia's but didn't help either.

EDIT: Whoa, this is crazy. While using any of the harddrives, sound / movie stuttering is insane. Does the Ultra-D have two seperate SATA controllers? I'm using SATA port 1 and 3 I think. While moving files from one harddrive to another, the sound almost dissappears completely. I think I will try reinstalling Windows again and scan the drives for errors 'cause this is crazy, something is seriously wrong.

The nF4 Ultra-D has a single NVIDIA sata controller with four ports. there are no ULI and no SIL controllers onboard.

I trust that you do know that Windows OS must be installed when your system is not overclocked. Did you happen to not do that?

Have you run sfc /scannow from the dos command line yet to see if your system files are ok?

how about chkdsk /f ? that checks the consistency of your file system.

have you gone to administrative tools in the control panel to see if your drive are badly fragmented or not?

Are you using FAT32 or NFTS. hmm..probably the latter as you are using huge HDD. Are they set up as RAID 0?

You probably need to do a baseline. What I mean is to check your system out at lower clocks (near stock) to make sure everything is working. Use benchmarks tests to see if you system is working properly.

There are many things you need to check. If you are not sure all is working at stock clocks..don't expect all to be peachy at a major overclocking level without stability tests and running benchmarks.

regards

Hi...you need to read the DFI motherboard archive thread. Here is a link to a similar problem on same MOBO as yours.

Happy reading:)

Hi...you need to read the DFI motherboard archive thread. Here is a link to a similar problem on same MOBO as yours.

Happy reading:)

Thanks alot, been reading through lots of threads but nothing has worked. S.M.A.R.T is already disabled in bios and I'm not using any software to monitor HDD temps anyway :(

You're not abandoned.

Well.. does all work well at stock clocks?

did you reinstall windows while you were overclocked?

have you tried chkdsk/f from command line?

have you tried sfc /scannow from the command line?

have you analyzed your hdds from within administrative tools from defragmentation?

ARE your hdds in RAID 0 config and if so are you using 16k blocks or larger?

Windows XP x86 or Win XP x64? which particular flavor of windoze are ya running?

answer those for a start.

go to device manager >IDE/ATAPI > right click your sata controllers >properties. then see if they are set properly. Do a speed test on each controller that has a SATA drive attached.

You're not abandoned.

Well.. does all work well at stock clocks?

did you reinstall windows while you were overclocked?

have you tried chkdsk/f from command line?

have you tried sfc /scannow from the command line?

have you analyzed your hdds from within administrative tools from defragmentation?

ARE your hdds in RAID 0 config and if so are you using 16k blocks or larger?

Windows XP x86 or Win XP x64? which particular flavor of windoze are ya running?

answer those for a start.

Really appreciate your effort erico, thanks a lot!

Stock clocks doens't change anything, unfortunately. I probably installed Windows with the CPU overclocked (but at a moderate 2700mhz). Could be a good idea to try installing it while at stock speeds maby?

Actually, I've been having some problem with CHKDSK on my system partition. If I run it from within Windows, I get errors, but that's pretty common I recon, as lots of programs are moving files around (like Kaspersky Internet Security). If I run CHKDSK /F (requires reboot and CHKDSK runs before Windows boots) I get no errors, same thing from recovery console. I've not tried sfc /scannow, what does it do? Something with system files if I remeber correctly, right? Going to try that, thanks. I've defragmented my drives using both Windows own application and O&O Defrag Professional.

I'm not using my drives in RAID. I'm using Windows XP Professional X86 (32-bit). Just did a full surface scan of both drives, no errors found.

go to device manager >IDE/ATAPI > right click your sata controllers >properties. then see if they are set properly. Do a speed test on each controller that has a SATA drive attached.

Well, it looks kind of strange acutally, is this how it should look?

sata.jpg

I've attached the drives to SATA1 and SATA2 now, same controller I think. Is there two different controllers on this board? Can't find any info on that. One NF4 and one SIL3114? If I remember correctly, I used to be able to see some SIL controller in device manager :confused:

I have seen that when an installation has gone way south. You should be seeing two instances of the NVIDIA NForce Serial ATA controller.

You can try removing the NVIDIA NForce drivers (except display drivers) rebooting and reinstalling them again. That might be a fix for your SATA drive problem. It looks as if your system is seeing your SATA drives as IDE drives. Right click on each and see what is there.

I have seen that when an installation has gone way south. You should be seeing two instances of the NVIDIA NForce Serial ATA controller.

You can try removing the NVIDIA NForce drivers (except display drivers) rebooting and reinstalling them again. That might be a fix for your SATA drive problem. It looks as if your system is seeing your SATA drives as IDE drives. Right click on each and see what is there.

Well, reinstalled the drivers again and now it looks like your picture. Going to do some testing and see if it makes any difference. Thanks!