What can I do with these 3 drives?

SRT-4me

I don't use more than 40-50GB, but I don't install games on any of my rigs. Remember that some programs still write folders and/or files to the default 'Documents' locations [C:Documents and Settings.... etc], so if you use any programs like that be sure to check that folder once in a while.

If I installed my OS and games/applications on the same partition, I'd have to reinstall all of my games/applications each time I reinstalled Windows, right? Would I benefit from putting JUST the OS onto its own partition? Still reading, still learning.....

If I installed my OS and games/applications on the same partition, I'd have to reinstall all of my games/applications each time I reinstalled Windows, right? Would I benefit from putting JUST the OS onto its own partition? Still reading, still learning.....

There is really no benefit to have the OS on its own partition apart from your program files. Most programs will put stuff in the registry, install custom .dll files, and modify other system files when they are installed. So I would just put all your programs and your OS on one partition, then put your documents on the other.

Another tip is if you don't plan on snapshotting your HDD with an image program, then at least put your drivers and installation MSI's and .exe files on your secondary partition, so you don't have to pop in 20 different cd's, or chase down all those downloads every time you reinstall your OS.

OK, so when I get home tonight I'll give it a shot. Here is what is going through my head and I'm under the impression I can do: Starting with the 320GB HD, make maybe an 80GB partition for the OS/games/MS Office + other programs, and partition off the rest to be used as "My Documents"? Right now I have 2 years of computing on the 120GB HD. I could have it boot off the 320, and still access anything I need off the 120 until the transformation over to the 320 is complete. At that point, I could just use the 120 as an extended partition of sorts for the "My Documents" on the off chance the 320 fills up. Or, if that will take a couple years, I could just use Norton Ghost periodically to make the 120 a backup copy of the 320.

When I make that 80GB partition, do I just leave it at that and the rest of the drive will be its own partition, or do I need to tell it to make the rest of the drive another partition? My understanding is the 2nd part of that question is the correct answer.

Am I on base with all of this?

That all sounds correct. But upon install I would just create 1 partition which would be the 80 GB one. Make it a "primary partition". Then once you have windows installed go in and create your second partition as another primary with the rest of the space that is left.

Well, I tried, but hit a roadblock right off the bat which I'm sure is a noob issue. I made my FDISK boot disk, which is the way I assume I'm supposed to do this, and booted into that. At the A: prompt, where I'm supposed to type FDISK, nothing happened. It wouldn't type. I assume this stems from me only having USB keyboards in the house or something. I can get into BIOS, but I can't do this. Sheesh. Ideas?

Looks like I got it all sorted out (mostly). I do have a question though. I unplugged the drive I've been using and partitioned the new drive and put my OS on it. So the OS is now on C: and the 2nd partition is E: me thinks. I've been going back and forth between the drives depending on if the wife needs to use it or not since the new drive has only an OS at this point. To do so, I've been shutting down, unplugging one drive and plugging in the other, then rebooting. Can I leave them both plugged in at this point and reboot with the BIOS pointing at the old trusty hard drive with everything on it? My only concern is that the old HD is named C: as well as the OS partition on the new HD. Will having 2 C: drives screw things up?

Thanks for all the help. Almost there..... :tooth:

• 3 weeks later...
Instal CD as in the disk that came with Windows? I got an OEM version of the HD, so no disk with that....

Install disk means Windows XP x86/x64 or Vista CD or DVD (depending on the flavor of Win XP you want to install).