What can I do with these 3 drives?

SRT-4me

I have the following hard drives and was wondering what my options are to get the best performance out of my system:

- WD Caviar 40GB IDE (4MB cache)

- WD Caviar 120GB IDE (8MB cache)

- WD Caviar 320GB SATA2 (16MB cache)

I don't know a heck of a lot about setting these up. Do I put everything on the SATA and just run that because it's faster? Do I put the OS on one and everything else on the other? Do I throw the 40GB in the garbage? Any help would be .... helpful I guess. :tooth:

I would use the 40 for the operating system, the 320 for all your applications and games, and the 120 as a backup drive.

And your OS would run like s***. The 40gb drive is an ide with 4mg of cache. The 320 with 16mg of cache is the no brainer to use as the OS drive.

What you aiming for as in what do you do the most on your PC?

I haven't really looked or experimented but can anyone comment on the day to day performance increase of SATA over IDE?

I mostly do Internet, gaming, and Excel based stuff. I've just been updating the computer for overall performance increases. I found a good deal on the bigger HD at Newegg and figured I'd get something a bit more technologically advanced than the old HDs I had. There is a noticable difference in numbers running HD Tach on each of them.

So if I make a partition for the OS on the 320GB HD, will that allow me to reinstall Windows at a later date without having to back up everything else before doing so? I'm trying to read up on partitions so I can do something like that, but the amount of information is kind of overwhelming and is taking a while....

I usually split my system drive in two partitions; one of the OS one for documents. That way I just format the C: drive and reinstall Windows, then link my documents folder to the second partition again.

Well XP requires 1.8 GB of HDD space to install. But I usually make mine around 70-80 GB depending on if you want your program files on that same partition, which is what I would suggest. It also depends on how many game you have installed at the same time. 70-80 GB should give you plenty of headroom for your progams, games, and system updates.