A few questions about NF4 Ultra-D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minimal hardware build, outside of the case.

Motherboard

CPU

Memory - One stick in orange slot nearest top of the board

Video Card

One HDD

One Optical Drive

Power Supply (of course)

PS2 Mouse and Keyboard

During build phase make sure that all power connectors are unplugged from the board. Remove CMOS battery and move CMOS Jumper to Clear position. After minimal hardware build is completed move CMOS Jumper back to Save position and reinstall CMOS battery.

Make sure all four power connectors are attached to the board. Make sure you only have one stick of RAM in orange DIMM slot nearest top of the board.

If you have a spare computer follow Davies' link and create TMOD's BIOS Flash CD.

Boot your PC, get into the BIOS and load optimized defaults. Reboot and enter BIOS once again and make sure CDROM is set as your first boot device. Put BIOS Flash CD into CDROM drive and reboot computer.

Use TMOD's BIOS Flash Utility to flash your BIOS to 0704-2bta or 0406 (personally I prefer the 0704-2bta as I've tried every BIOS there is for the Ultra-D and the 0704 always seemed to work the best with various cpu and memory combinations).

After successful BIOS flash repeat the full CMOS clear procedure I already outlined above. Reboot and load optimized defaults once again, then manually change your primary memory timings and RAM voltage to those specified by the manufacturer for your RAM. Reboot and run Memtest before attempting OS installation.

Run tests #5 and #8 for 25-30 loops and then run all tests 1-8 overnight. If Memtest comes back clear you are ready for the OS installation.

Cheers.

Thanks davieslim and wevsspot

I flashed to the latest official dfi bios just to make sure it wasn't a bios problem, then did a cmos reset for several hours and attached all power connectors again and booted up with optimized defaults. I installed Windows without a problem :eek: Quite happy that it works now, though I'll try 0704-2bta later when I receive my HR 05 SLI and fully set up my rig with additional hardware etc. Might try to overclock to see how far it goes and then compare with 0704-2bta.

Btw the Northbridge cooler is crazy... When booting up it goes up to ~7200 rpm for 5 seconds and then settles down at 3k-4k. I will get rid of that one for sure^^

Edit : no errors in memtest, but timings of 2-2-2-5 seem impossible, bios automatically sets it as 2-3-2-5. That's no problem though as I will be using 2,5-4-4-8 or maybe even 2,5-3-3-7 for my GSkill memory at a higher FSB.

DFI is awesome^^ My next motherboard will certainly be a DFI. Although I will probably upgrade only when Nehalem is released :)

Testing with an older 3200 E3 I have been able to use my GSkill memory at its rated speed, DDR550 with 2,7V in 1:1 using a lower multiplier. Won't use 2,8V again as my memory becomes too hot and gives a few errors in Memtest. Using a 120mm fan on the side over them helps.

I'm hoping to reach 3,2-3,3 Ghz with my 4000 E6 as it needed 1,475v for 3,1 Ghz and was only 47° on air. Abit Av8 and DDR400 memory was limiting my overclock.

But I have a question. Which Tref value should I use for an FSB/Memory over 275 ? I will only use 1:1

I have looked at several posts and also the guide on the forums here. Currently using 3120 and it seems to work well but maybe someone can recommend me a better value? Or should I simply leave it. Thanks for all.

A Tref value of 3120 is about universal and should suit the needs of most everyone except the most hardcore of overclockers.

However, some types of G.Skill RAM (depending on the IC's) like a Tref setting of 3684.

Try each of those and see which one gives you the best performance.