Moving RAID array to a new motherboard

OrphanBoy

Hiya,

I've been running a RAID 0 array with my PC for the best part of a year now with no problems. They're a pair of SATA 320GB Seagates (can't remember the model numbers - 7200.10 I think) with my DFI Lanparty Ultra-D NF4's SATA RAID controller.

Now I think I'm starting to get dodginess with either the motherboard or my video card and the machine keeps cutting out. In the case that my motherboard completely dies on me, what are my chances of being able to plug my drives into a brand new nvidia motherboard, say for a C2D, and just having the drives 'work'? ie the array being detected and mountable under Windows.

Is moving arrays from one chipset to another an easy thing to do?

Ta :)

It should work fine as long as the nvidia raid is the same on both boards. U just have to make sure it is set up the same way on your new computer as on the old one. I transferred my raid from one nf4 lanparty to another one and it worked fine. So make sure all your bios settings are the same.

Saying it will work fine, is ok if you were to move from one NF4 to another. But not from an NF4 to a C2D. They are completely different chipsets, it simply won't work and will almost certainly corrupt your data. Back your data up and do a fresh install on the C2D.