Networking Questions...

Ok... now we're getting somewhere... I bought my friend's old voodoo 2 from him today for $5 (he wasn't using it and we went out to eat and he forgot his wallet :P). I might be able to get a cheap monitor too... so i'll have to see. I was wondering, how do you network? Do you like use a dsl box or something? The two comps are going to be upstairs and downstairs. I wanted to keep my comp in my main room (which is the master room upstairs) and my dad wants to use this comp as his personal business comp and keep it in the office downstiars. I want to be able to network the two together so we can share files. Also, i was thinking about blue tooth... is that anygood?

How to network...

Well, you can connect both comps to a router, hob, or a switch...

If you want to share an ISP connectiom, you'll either need to use ICS (I wouldn't recomend this) or you could use a router... If you use a router, it'll give you the ability to add more comps later.

Depending on your OS... To share files/folders/printers, you'll need to enable file and printer sharing, and create shared drives/folders/printers/etc... or you can deal with the hassle of using admin shairs.

If you want to go wireless, the choice is yours... I will never recomend it to anyone, because it is not secure. But that's just something you'll need to decide on.

cheap easy way,

get a network card for both computers

get the length of CAT-5e cable you need

make a crossover cable out of it (T568/A on one end T568/B on the other)

crossover cable

for 2 computers this works great ;)

Hmmm... that seems cheaper than bluetooth... i might be able to do that. Tell me all the items i need as i'm am a STRAIGHT NEWBIE to networking. I have dsl if that matters... i want to share my connection... My dsl box has 5 ports so i can play with that...

Id never go wireless just due to the fact its sooo stinking slow..

and running ICS isent bad..

I do it.. I have a router.. but Im on 56k.. I dont really need it..

Linksys 4 port 10 /100 router..

:P waiting and hoping for DSL or Cable :)

My ethernet card is a 3com 10/100 or was is a 1000 can't rember. anyways, my dsl box is an external that connects to a ethernet card... if that helps any... My dsl provider supply's the box (i've had 2 of them break so i'm glad they pay for it).

If your DSL box is ethernet, you'd have no problem connecting it to a router. :)

I'd recomend a LinkSys... Though I'd go to dslr/bbr and check the forums and see what type of router will work with your ISP/area...

www.breadbandreports.com