Am2 Cpu

drmalenko

Alright, so I finally decided to upgrade from 939, but only due to the fact I got a sweet deal on the MB...

Im trying to decide which CPU is the one for me... and yall are going to help...

so if you can spare a moment tell me which one of these and why thats the one Im looking for...

the 6000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103773

or the FX-62

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103861

Ive always wanted an FX chip and this one dont seem so bad, especially with the unlocked multipliers....its the one that Im leaning towards...or should i just go with one of the opterons?

Im going to need some DDR2 as well, Im open to suggestions on those as well...

Thanks!

forget the FX, get the cheaper 6000+. At their stock speeds, you won't need to overclock at all (in fact, I now enable Cool & Quiet on my AMD cpu's!). You don't want an FX.

DDR2 = any decent OCZ/Corsair/Buffalo DDR2-800 or better. OCZ has a shitload of MIB's at Newegg, and the best part is that their modules are $80-$100 before the mail in rebate, and after, they tend to be about $60-$70.

I've got my eye on the Voltage Extreme or Xtreme Voltage Protection or whatever OCZ modules for about $95-ish.

Hey Angry, you said what I thought you would say...

whats your reason for not wanting an FX? this way I can adopt the reason...

my theory was its only 200 mhz between the 2 and with an unlocked multi it could be set at 15 instead of 14 making 3.0...

but if you say 6000 im good with that, esepcially considering its cheaper.. just always wanted an fx...:confused:

as always, the FX cpu's are at the top of their line, meaning about the top speed that the cpu die can achieve without failing on whatever nm process they are on (90nm, 65nm, 45nm, etc). That is why they are the FX (not for the unlocked multi, but because FX essentially means "you won't get a faster cpu on this particular core/process").

Go searching through all the threads here and see how little all the FX cpu's overclock under normal (air/water) cooling. Very little. Remember when the 939 FX's were 2800Mhz and most couldn't even get 3Ghz barely...and compare their probable feelings against a guy like you or I that bought a 2Ghz or 2400Mhz cpu for less than half the price and could still clock it to 2800Mhz, usually more than that.

It will always be like this for FX AMD cpu's as well as Extreme Intel cpu's. They are top of their lines, so you paying premium price + very very little overclocking headroom.

The 6000+ in your case is really just as fast and just as good and I'm sure a hell of a lot cheaper. If you never overclock the 6000+, you are still at 2800Mhz per core...is the extra 200Mhz worth all of the extra money the FX costs? (the 6000+ will probably overclock better on normal cooling anyway)

The 6000+ generally seems to overclock better than the FX as well, some reports of 3.3-3.4GHz stable. Plus it's faster at stock, if that's what you're interested in.

Of course there's no real reason to even get that if you're overclocking, you could always grab a 5200+ or something and overclock that instead.

Ok, I broke down and ordered the 6000 and the extra voltage protection 2gb ocz...now newegg just needs to get it here...

I comtemplated the 5600 for several reason but ended up with the 6000....

Now as soon as thurs gets here, (payday) and I see whats left over after bills I will be heading over to danger den with all of the info from you guys to start my WC setup.. YAY!!

I promise to change my sig soon as this hardware arrives.....

Thanks for the info guys!!

well one thing you can do just to fool around is to keep your cpu as close to stock as you can while cranking the crap out of those OCZ DDR2 sticks...so test it at pure stock speed (DDR2 800 + stock cpu), then crank those OCZ's up to 1200 or whatever you can get them to while keeping the cpu at stock (as close as you can keep it anyway)

I'd be interested to see the differences of a stock 3000Mhz cpu @ 800Mhz DDR2 speed vs a 3000Mhz cpu @ 1200Mhz DDR2 speed ;)

You'd probably need no voltage at all on the cpu which is good, though the cpu will definitely run a few degrees warmer as the memory controller will be working overdrive.

I think I might try this with this 3200+ single-core AM2 when this 2GB Ballistix PC2-8500 shows up.

PS I should have actually clicked your links to see the FX was only $30 more...it has been so long since I've even bothered to look at the FX cpu's I still figured they were premium priced at $500+ lol.

Either way, you still got a better deal with the 6000+ by getting faster stock speed @ $30 less price.