DS3 Keeps Booting From Floppy

Try setting all the boot devices to cd-rom and disabling 'boot from other device. Always works for me.

This was with a DS3? Or was this with Award BIOS on your particular board? I did try setting all boot devices to cd-rom but I don't recall seeing a "boot from other device" option. I went through each BIOS page probably about 3 times and would have remembered seeing it.

If it was there it'd be right under the boot priority list. Sorry, I thought that was a standard bios option. Every board I've ever worked with has had it. Just pull the floppy cable off of the motherboard for the install, then put it back in afterwords. If the device refuses to let other things boot, remove it, hehe.

If it was there it'd be right under the boot priority list. Sorry, I thought that was a standard bios option. Every board I've ever worked with has had it. Just pull the floppy cable off of the motherboard for the install, then put it back in afterwords. If the device refuses to let other things boot, remove it, hehe.

Well that is the problem. Even if I remove the FDD and try all boot priority options it still gives me the message: BOOT DISK FAILURE yadda yadda yadda.

Ouch. You may indeed have a faulty ide channel. Removing the offending drive has always worked for me, and I do a lot of builds.

Does the cd rom drive show up in the drive recognition section of bios? If so, there's something else at fault here...I'll see if I can get anything else for ya.

From the PCPerspective.com forums...

1) If your HDs are plugged into one of ICH8's SATA ports, just change the following BIOS setting:

Integrated Peripherals -> Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode -> IDE mode

Reboot and, once again, enter BIOS Setup and open the Standard CMOS Features menu.

Press ENTER to autodetect devices on IDE Channel 4 Master, then change Extended IDE Drive and Access Mode to Auto.

If you have a slave IDE device, do the same on IDE Channel 4 Slave and finally Save & Exit Setup.

At the POST screen, you'll see your IDE devices being detected by the BIOS and the Gigabyte IDE/SATA BIOS will no longer be loaded, resulting in a faster boot.

This is the best way to use DVD/CD drives, because the Main BIOS handles the device detection and you can even choose CD-ROM in the Boot Menu (F12 key).

If you have already installed the JMicron driver, just change the driver to Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. Now you can see/change the transfer mode of the IDE devices, just open the properties of the third Primary IDE Channel.

2) If your HDs are plugged into one of Gigabyte's SATA2 ports, just change the following BIOS setting:

Integrated Peripherals -> Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode -> AHCI mode

In this mode, the IDE port and the SATA ports are detected as standalone devices, Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller and GIGABYTE GBB36X Controller, respectively.

Now you can see/change the transfer mode of the IDE devices, just open the properties of the third Primary IDE Channel.

If nothing else, flash back down to the F5 revision of bios, as this seems to be the one that people have had the best luck with.

Well I was using RAID so I used the IDE/RAID option and had my HD's connected to the Gigabyte Sata2 Ports. I made the RAID array and it detected it properly but I still always received "BOOT DISK FAILURE..." when trying to load the windows install from the CD.