nforce 4 problem

i had a secondary computer with a gigabyte nf4 mobo, 1gb ram, a 6600GT and a 200gb harddrive..the mobo died so i replaced it with a biostar nf4 mobo...with the exact same chipset so i wouldnt need to reinstall windows..now i cant install the new mb drivers because even though the dvd rom is recognized in the bios and windows, it wont read the driver cd...anybody have an idea what might be causing this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

your dvd drive could be bad,could have been what was causing the bsods,

not your mobo.Ive seen the problem before with a friends new dell,it would

freeze and run slow even though he wasnt using the dvd drive.uninstall all the mobo drivers and try a different optical drive.

the old board still works, just had problems (lots of BSODs etc.) so could i reinstall it, uninstall the drivers and then reinstall the new board?

Yes you could...might try doing the above also why you got the old board in...I have had that problem once also...when it happened to me it would hang on the post screen a little longer than normal also...;)

Hello,

Even if you did uninstall the old drivers this may not have helped.

With the old board the bios settings and IRQ management is used when installing windows. This infomation is used to generate the HAL, hardware abstraction layer.

By changing the board the HAL will need to be regenerated, which means reinstalling windows.

And that is why the drives do not work when in windows. ;)

Gotta hand it to ya Sharp, you've always got the best explainations. And he's absolutely right, too. Rule number 1, if you change the board, you MUST re-install Windows to have and semblance of stability. The only exception MIGHT be referrence boards of the same revision, and I'm will to say that that's still a fairly big risk.